Prefer quality or quantity?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Bream baiter, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw an interview on TV this morning that showed a fisheries biologist saying that Missouri catfishermen were surveyed and 80% prefer catching more smalller fish instead of fewer but larger fish. The purpose of the survey was to let the state wildlife managers know how to manage the catfishery. Do you really want small fish? Here in NC and SC we like big fish and highly encourage releasing big fish so they will get even bigger.

2. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I would disagree with that survey. While I don't like going trip after trip without a fish, I would rather that than always catching little uns. A few medium fish in there is fun, but the big ones got to be there. (I am mostly refering to striper fishing, since I don't get big cats here in Cali) but it's a universal question.
    Linz:wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i guess i have caught so many between the average to large rates lol , but true.. i would rather catch size than numbers...thats why i have taken up lake fishing.. 20-40 pound flats are fun. i wanna 50-70!!! rollo

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You sure about the big ones and California Lindsay? Seems to me there have been a few California BOC'rs that have caught some real hogs out there. I distincly remember one fish that was close to 90 pounds. It was a BlueCat if my feeble memory serves me correctly. I've been told you guys have a pretty good catfish fishery out there on the West Coast.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont keep fish very often. I do however fish a lot of tournaments. So naturally I would rather catch big fish to weigh in. If I am on a casual trip I have fun catching catfish of all sizes. And IF I do decide to keep a mess I wont keep anything over 6 or 7 pounds. I also enjoy a nice day on the river catching or not catching catfish. I call it my therapist.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ditto Bobs post. I'd rather catch bigguns, but i sure enjoy just being on the water even when its just the rats that will bite. :wink:

7. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Hey now, we need those big fish! If they were all rats we wouldn't have anything to talk about on the BOC. :crazy: There would be no more great fishing stories. No one wants to hear about the 10 four pounders that were caught. That's part of the excitement. Never knowing whats going to be on the end of the pole. I don't know who they surveyed..... But it sure wasn't any of the BOC'ers.

8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I dont know who they asked but if someone had asked me I would be in the other 20%. I am with Bob and Cuz, I would much rather target larger fish, and I have spent many a day on the water having a good time without even seeing a pole move. I like to catch fish but I would rather catch one truely big fish on a trip than 10 fish that would equal the one fishes weight./JMHO

9. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I gave my buddy the game warden the web adress here. I know he has been on here but I dont think he posts. I have encouraged him to participate. I hope he will start. What better way to get the opinions of the Missouri sport fisherman than to talk to them on here. And if they have a question about something they can definately get an opinion on here.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    It would depend what my freezer looks like in truth....

If it is low on fillets, then I will catch eaters and restock. If I am full up like now, I target larger ones.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks alot for inviting him in Bob. We need more conservation folks in here to give an idea how serious we are as a group on protecting these great fishes. Perhaps your friend would like to speak to the Gateway members during one of our meetings. I thought it would be neat to have a couple of Conservation Personel join us at a meeting and hear our thoughts and we can hear whats going on with the legislative side of the house.

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I love to see you ol boys catch the big ones but Sara and I would much rather catch the 4-5-6 lbrs than a 10. We usually keep 5 fish to eat and turn the rest loose. And very seldom do we go and not get our eaters. We use Dip/Stink bait all the time, mostly Sunnys that I've modifyed with a few pounds of shredded shad and some carageenan (irish moss extract) when we fish with poles. I use cut shad on jug lines. Live shad on limb lines. -----Catch the big ones boys and post the pictures and we all feel like we're there with you. :smile2:

13. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I will ask him. I wont speak for him but I think he would do it.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    It would depend on the reason for my outting I think. If I am looking to stock my freezer for a fish fry then of course I'm looking for the smaller eater size fish. If Im just out looking to get some time on the water like usual, then of course Im looking for my next P.B.

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i figure the reason the poll came out 80% is because ,of the people who buy licenses,thats what they want.my self i keep small fish to eat but i fish for big fish and i for one hope that 80% keeps fishing for little fish.i do think they should have a lenght limit on what you can keep.

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I fish for legend that sits at the bottom of the dam......LOL
    but alot of times I take my boys, and them times I wish I could find a high school of rats to keep them boys busy:big_smile:

17. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    I am with Bob, Cuz, and Stlcatman. I am going out to catch the biggest fish I can catch. It may be 10lbs one night, and 50lbs the next night. One 100lb fish would be my choice over ten 10lb fish anyday, even if I had to go out 9 times and not catch anything. I have fun no matter what I catch, or don't catch. It's just good to be out there.

18. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I guess it would depend on whether I was fishing for food or fishing for fun.

I usually only fish for fun so ya Id like bigger ones but dang!!! I would be doin good just to catch a small one!!

I caught 1!!!! catfish this entire spring/summer

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I go after size. If i wanted to catch fish no more then 10 pounds I would walk down to the lake and fish. It's sure is nice feeling knowing that at any moment that centry fish could hit.

20. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I fish for the fish to eat.But I enjoy fishing.The most fun fishing is to me is when I catch fish as fast as i can bait and cast.I like to eat the small ones, but a bigboy now and then is nice.If i had to pick one it would be the small ones.I have caught very few mid-to big cat. so i say quantity.