Predatory catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by plumbertom1, Dec 4, 2006.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I had always thought of blue catfish as scavengers until a few years ago a incident at Lake San Antonio on California's central coast demonstrated their predatory ways.
    I was camped out at the lake and fishing at night for whatever would bite my soaking mackerel (cats of strippers) from the shore line near the launch ramp.
    After fishing for a few hours and listening to the splash of jumping fish I decided to see if they might be strippers jumping, so I got out my jig tossing pole and tied on a 6" Zara spook in black with silver stripes.
    I started tossing that spook and walking it in in the fashion I always did for strippers, after about a dozen tosses it was struck hard and I set the hook into what I was sure was a stripped bass, but for the weight it wasn't pulling as much as I would expect, no hard run just a lot of steady drag and a lot of head shaking.
    After a few minutes of pulling the fish imagine my surprise to find a 6lb blue had struck that spook in the dead of night, now when I'm out at night and hear the fish jumping I put on a noisy top water plug and work the surface vigorously, this has resulted in a good number of blue and channel catfish even though I have yet to catch any large fish using this method at night.
    Even though I now know from experience, cat fish to be apex predators I have yet to catch a Flatheads out of the Colorado river using this technique, yet all of the Flathead I have caught have come in on live bait or fresh dead in current.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Blue catfish are predators. They'll take live bait as well as dead bait. In-Fisherman did an article on Blue's in which the noted a study that found the Blues often lay in wait under a pod of feeding striped bass waiting for injured or dead shad to fall away from the bass. You may have experienced that in your fishing.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I was unaware that San Antonio lake had blues, I know they have channels that get good size there. Nevertheless they are predators. Bass fisherman sometimes catch them on spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I have seen and reads several reports of 60 plus pounders being landed on spinnerbaits or crankbaits. Its happens at San Vicente almost at least once a year.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Channels are much more likely to take a lure than other catfish. The love those little in-line spinners like the Rooster Tail.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Channels also love mini jigs. I have caught several on them. Also caught some on powerbait as well while fishing for trout.

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    The cat fish I referred to at San Antonio I am assuming to be a blue as the color and body did not resemble any channel cat I have ever caught. It was of a dark gray-blue colorfading to a whitish belly and was broader across the head than I am used to seeing in channels.
    I have yet to have anyone specifically identify any cat I have caught as a blue.
    Having caught countless channels that were easily identifiable as such I have formed my own opinion as to which are blues, however I could easily be mistaken.

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I have caught channels matching that description. The tail should give it away.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I have caught channel cats while fishing leadhead curly-tail grubs at Lake Naciemento in shallow water 5'-6'along the shore line amongst the stickups.
    As I tend to fish my light weight Uglystick with 4lb line for crappie I can tell you it's a real thrill to hook a 8-10lb cat while doing that.
    I lived at Heritage ranch on the shore of Naciemento for three years and used practically nothing other than a 2' white grub on either 1/16th or 1/8th oz lead heads or 1/2 oz Kastmasters in chrome or blue and chrome and caught every type of fish in that lake.

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chanel cats will have 24 to 30 rays on the anal fin, with a slightly curved outer border, Blue cats will have 30 to 35 rays with a straight outer border on the anal fin.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    They sure do :big_smile: love them

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I think people have caught channel catfish on just about everything imaginable. Goes to reason, when they see an oppurtunity to eat, they will take it.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    May be white cat? Blues are usually light blue fading to white belly, or almost white all over. White cats for some reason are darker blue to purplish black. Why do they call them white cats? I don't know.www,landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?1D=10

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Try this. If that don't work I don't know. That's weird because I wasn't on a BOC site.:confused2: www.landbigfish.com

14. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    That didn't work either. I'm stupid.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think catfish will eat anything they can get in there mouth.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have caught flatheads on deep diving crankbaits pulled across the faces of lowhead dams. I read about it in In-Fisherman a few yrs back, The first time I tried it I caught a 16lber.

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it is possible that you are catching white catfish, a meber of the bullhead family.

www.floridafisheries.com/Fishes/catfish.html#white

here is some info for them. scroll up and down for other species.