Predator hunting?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by topjimmy, Jan 2, 2006.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Is this where the predator hunting posts go?

I love to hunt yoddle dogs when I'm not catfishing.

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Jimmy,
    I do not know where they should go but I am getting into yote hunting my self. Went and got a couple of mouth calls and am trying to learn all I can. Look forward to swapping stories.;)

Robert

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I have never heard of a yoddle dog. What is it?

4. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I believe he means coyotes. (yotes, or yoddles...coy-dogs song-dogs) Every place has there own name for them.

Its alot of fun, haven't had any success this year (only gone twice) and still had a blast.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Find a ranch with some winter kill and hope they will drag them near some hay stacks. Have several shooters with shotguns and buckshot and others with rifles. Let a bunch come in then let the shotguns take the first and the scopes zap the quickest. Seen over 12 killed in one shoot. My granddad used a small dog and a rabbit call. That poor dog was terrified of yotes. Grandad shot many a yote thinking he had an easy meal. Oddly we had a lot of dear respond to the rabbit calls. go figure.

6. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I always wanted to hunt coyotes but never had. I'm trying to get a friend whose in laws have land to go w/ me.
    What do ya'll do w/ them after you kill them? I know some people sell them, but if no one is buying them then waht? Dump them somewhere?

7. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    If you can't sell them, you could skin it and keep the fur for yourself. Or you could clean the skull up, and put it on your mantle or something. If you want to spend the money, you could have it mounted.

8. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    If you don't have any outlet for them...you can skin and freeze the pelts for about a month. Or you can skin the skulls and do a european mount thing

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If the pelt is in its prime and that depends on area you can send it to auction. Tho you must know what they want, either cased or skinned. However many taxidermists will pay more for a nice clean animal that they can mount and resale. Perhaps you can work out a trade. If nothing else double bag the carcass in trash bags and place in trash. Who knows coyote liver may be a cat magnet. CAUTION!!!! wear rubber gloves when handling yotes and other furbearers. They can transfer nasties to you.

10. gunnyb

gunnyb New Member

i have just started hunting coyotes in eastern nc.
    i've got a couple of spottings in different areas,but haven't had any come to calls yet. populations are spread out and not very big.
    populations are bigest on camp lejeune marine base here.
    still hopeful though.
    just like deer hunting, learning habits and patience.

any tips would help.

gunnyb

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Coyotes use the wind and sight more than deer. They adapt to almost anything and breed more when hunted hard. I have seen them pack up and cut cattle. I knew a farm lady who watched her german shepherd torn apart by 5 when a female yote in heat lead him into a ravine.

I like electronic calls, but mouth blown are great too. If you can get road kill (make sure its legal, salvage tags may be neccessary) bait them (if legal) If they test tornado sirens or fire sirens then you can hear them call. Greyhounds are great yote dogs. Just be sure to get to the yote first. There is a reason they muzzle the greyhounds. Use 22 mag or better. Fur-Fish-Game magazine is a great resource for yote hunting. See if your local library subscribes.

I like some kind of animated lure. Grandpa uses a long haired mutt. He would set him in a clearing so it could pick burrs. or stake a bone to the ground and start calling. May want to use a scatter gun. They come a running. Puppy whines are great for calling yotes.

Have fun.

12. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Been hunting these things the last couple of weeks, my friends and I have missed three of them. We need shotguns instead of rifles. They run in fast.

Does anyone ever use a decoy? Like a picture of a coyote?

13. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    If they are running in fast, and you want them to stop so you can get a shot, use your howler to make a bark. Or you can just use your voice. When they hear the bark, they'll stop running, raise their ears, and look around. If that doesn't stop them, you can do a deep howl with your voice, kind of like from a wolf or a more mature coyote. That sometimes will stop them too.

14. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Last weekend one ran full tilt right up to my buddy at 8yds and stopped. He had a .223 with a 6x20 power scope and couldn't see it in the scope and tried looking down the side of the barrel and missed it. Shotguns coming out!!

Thanks for the info 88

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Get a kids toy that looks like a ball with a tail. or they make decoys. Turkey decoys work decently. Stuffed animals on a stick with string works too