Predator hunting

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by crazy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I was wondering if anyone here does any predator hunting in Kansas or Missouri. I did a little bit last year with no luck. I plan on hunting them more this year and was looking for someone to show me the ropes. Or have any tips.

2. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Crazy, I hunt coyotes and bobcats in Kansas. You'd be welcome to go with me anytime you can make it theis winter. I use a 22.250 or a shotgun depending upon where I'm hunting. How were you hunting them?

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Calvin, thanks for the invite would love to see how it's done from someone that knows. Just let me know when you start going after them. Last year I just sat on my butt with a 7mm mag and a electronic caller. :) I just bought a new gun though last week. Savage 12 low profile .204. I'm looking for something different to hunt for. I like calling turkeys so I figured dogs and cats would be fun too. I'm going to buy some hand calls here soon though. So I guess i'll just watch my video's some more and get the ones that sound good to me.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I'll be calling this winter also, will be mostly going during the week but your welcome to come along some time. I'd definitely take Calvin up on his offer if you can, these NE Kansas public land "brush dogs" are getting very very smart(insert Elmore Fudd voice) :p

5. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How were things down south Charlie? I hope you didn't catch any rare bugs down there. Have you started putting your duck blind together yet? I've heard some rumors on fur prices but nothing solid so far. I'd like to catch a few coons too, just because they are easy to catch and skin. I am obligated to trap muskrats at a wetland here so I'll be working on them even if they aren't worth anything. I live trapped some mink and turned them loose there last year but they haven't thinned the rats out enough. We still need to plan a trip for quackers this fall. I have another week's vacation in November. If I'm not deer hunting maybe we can combine for some ducks and pheasants and fur.

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Calvin, haven't even left the state yet, I guess FEMA doesn't need our help. I doubt I'll go now if asked, I was between seasons when first asked.........getting a little late in the year for me to be gone if ya know what I mean!!

Won't be long and the boat blind will be on, duck fever is starting to set in :) . Went up stream of Bowersock this morning, found some great looking flathead water and some good looking duck spots.............but it is a pain getting up there with this shallow water!!

We'll have to chat somemore about a combo hunt, sound like fun if I can get over the gas used to get there,boohoo.

Did you make Colorado??

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Charlie, I went to Colorado and dropped about $1500 in the process. I only had one elk within bow range the entire trip and I couldn't get an open shot at it. Gas was still about 50 cents a gallon higher there than here so that helped too. I dropped $100 on a tresspass fee for the Green Ranch. I was told I would be dodging the bulls while trying to decide which monster to shoot. There are more elk in my back yard than on the Gree Ranch. I don't think that place had seen an elk all summer. I did loose some weight though. those mountains tend to get you into shape.

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Man we really hunted hard for Yotes late year me and a friend of mine. We didnt have any luck what so ever tried different calls (Electronic and Hand calls). Ive never been so discussed in my life with hunting. We came to the conclusion that we really had no idea what we where doing..... I would love to learn from someone that knows and is willing to teach. I was using a 30-06, or a 22 mag. And my buddie was using a M4 that he built himself....223 I think.

9. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    I've hunted a few times. managed to get a few using a mouth call and a .270. I had the extra shells, and wanted to shoot it some.
    I've often thought about using my mom's Lasa Opsa (sp?) as... a decoy... or bait. :rolleyes:
    The dog will cry, cry, cry if she can't get to you, and sounds very small, which she is! But, alas, my mom won't let me take her hunting!!

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Dang, sorry to hear that Calvin. Only way I'll ever go back after elk is with a muzzleloader and then I'd shoot the first tit-sucking calf that walked in front of me...........I've spent a lot of money on elk trips and no roasts to show for it!! You going to bowhunt here in KS?

Chuck, a dumb coyote is a dead coyote...........lots more people out there squalling at them and they get smart real fast. Don't be afraid to jump in the thick stuff, and have a backdoor gunner.......smart dog WILL circle trying to pick you up.

11. Bottombouncer

Bottombouncer New Member

State:
    Calvert city Ky
    in Ky we can hunt on full moon nights with out any man made light you turn on your tape and sit back the dogs will come at run straight to your call no circleing kill lots this way best luck with rabbit at night chicken tape in day kitten tapes work well best way iv found to shoot coons is with baby chickens or ducks put them in acage on acreek bank and letem holler When cows are calving afterbirth is agreat attractant Cow pies in late fall dogs scratch anddig under them looking for bugs and mice eating undigested corn

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'm heading to Colorado elk hunting my self in late November it looks like. It should be fun. Never really hunting out west before so I'm looking forward to this. Now the hard part of choosing what gun of mine I want to take. Kind of looks like I'm going to miss the missouri deer season too.

13. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hear you Charlie. I can't really complain. I've come home with elk a lot more than I haven't. But its obscene the amount of money I've spent over the years chasing them all over the Rockies. I could be retired now if I had never wanted to kill an elk. Not really. I'd have just spent it on something else. The money just stings a lot more when you don't get anything. I "think" I will hunt with a bow this year. I was going to get my license this weekend. But there is just something about hunting in 90F weather that turns me off. I want to go to Keystone in November to catch catfish and that will be right in the heart of the rut. I'd rather catch a big flathead any day than shoot a deer. I may just stick to bird hunting and predator hunting this winter. Are you going to bowhunt?

14. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Crazy, where are you going to be hunting in November? It should be plenty cold by then. What rifle are yiou going to shoot?

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Calvin, I'll probably take my 7mm although I would like to take my 280. As for where I'm going I have no idea. My friends soon to be brother in law is from Colorado so he's setting it up. One place is private 200 acres that butts up to national forests at around 8,000 feet. He has another place to hunt that is 4 hours west of there that's around 6,500 feet. Just so long as I see an elk it don't matter to me.

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Calvin, I plan on bowhunting but haven't bought a tag yet............you forgot to add bugs and stinging nettles to your reasons not to go early!!

Actually plan on doing a lot of squirrel hunting, got Connor a single shot youth .22.............he's one bullet Barney, but he don't get to carry the bullet ;) . Also got Ozzie barking tree on Squirrels he runs up........hasn't put his nose down yet but a little fur in the mouth should get that started.

Fried squirrel and biscuits and gravy.............oh my!!!

17. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Charlie, I like to hunt squirrels about as much as deer. I bought Tyler a little Walmart .22 auto for the same reason. Squirrels are about as good eating as it gets! I usually shoot a few with my bow while I'm after deer. I always carry a blunt or judo tip with me.

18. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Crazy, that 7mm is good elk medicine. By November there should be enough snow up high to get them down a little bit. I was camping at about 9200' and hunting up around 10400. Drink plenty of water to help with the altitude.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I hope your right about the elk moving down by then Calvin. I just want to see one with in shooting distance. Not that I care if it's a cow and I have a bull tag just to know I could of is good enough.

20. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    what time of the year do you guys like to hunt coyotes, and what time of day. i really want to start hunting them and i need to learn some stuff. so would you just sit in a blind or something and call, and wait. plus is a decoy a must, along with calling? how long do you call before moving? any help would be appreciated.