Predator Hunting in the Snow

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by opposum, Dec 29, 2009.

1. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    What is the best time to predator hunt when the snow is on the ground? Are they easier to call in during the night or day? With snow on the ground and more in the forecast I'm thinking about giving it a try. When you hunt at night what gun do you prefer...rifle or shotgun w/00buck? Thanks.

2. McLovin

McLovin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats a great question. I've always wanted to do some predator hunting, just haven't ever gotten around to it.

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always get nice deer at night with a spotlight :wink:! You got some predators you need to take out? Looks like I am going to make it down this weekend. Chris

4. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    I try not to shoot deer at night, i cant see them very well, at night i prefer to hunt for cows! I like to make it a real challenge and go for the black ones! Boy they are mighty tastey! Just don't forget to take a chainsaw to cut out the back straps, they are far to big to fit a whole one in your truck. I got a real good field by my house if you wanna go!! :smile2::smile2::big_smile::tounge_out::wink: No i usually hunt for them in the morning and at dusk. As long as it is cold i have found it good. I usually set up by a field looking down into the timber where i hear them calling. Wear some sent masking agent and put out the calls. Then i get about a 200yds from the woodline and wait. Sometimes they will try to circle on you so watch out to the sides too, they dont always come strait in from where they are calling. I prefer a .223 and of course a 30-06 always dose the trick. Got two bobcats that way last year that both weigh aroun 30-35lbs and a awesome red fox too. Never tried at night , thats when im fishing. (take a bumble ball and glue rabbit fur to it!! They will come running and try to play with it like a puppy) Becareful i have had them stolen before so dont watch them play for too long!

5. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Shotguns at night close to cover,rifles in the early morning and late afternoon.I use mouth calls close to where I think they are layed up.
    Here is a pic of one last sunday,called two in ,got one.
    And my old mouth call thats at least 15 years old!!!!!!!!!
    They came in full bore.
    Its a blast when it all comes together.

Attached Files:

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :big_smile: way to matt awsome job buddy thanks for the cool picture !!!!!!

down at the farm it was easy in the winter to shoot them from the porch all the catfish we caught that wieghed 20 lbs and over ,

after we fillet them out we hung the heads and carcass on steel fence posts up and down the drive way they couldnt resist the fish we left the belly meat on them and they loved it !!!!

early morning seemed the best to catch them comming across the field to eat on 1 of them .

i got to get some more posts :wink::smile2::smile2:

7. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    Im not a pro like you Matt, im not confident enough to use a mouth call. I have tried it a few times and i think i just scare them away,lmao, i hsve been with my buddys when they use dogs it is pretty awesome! They do it on sundays until around noon down around Green Ridge. Scott and i did get permission to hunt some major prime property on a wild game farm but havent got the chance to do it yet! we cant stop fishing long enough!

8. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    When the snow is on and a bright moon you can call all night. Seems like the later the better it gets . You don't have to use much Lite other than to illuminate their eyes to find them .This time of the year they're beginning to rut ,alot of times you can catchem paired up .The best thing about the snow is that it's short work to tell if there are any in the area,just check for fresh tracks in the snow around funnels or in frozen creeks their like a paved road for varmits.Our best night ever was this time of year we killed 7 red fox and saw 12 total it was one of those perfect senarios ,we shot two pairs and one spot we saw four .That was several years ago before the coyotes took over around here .Good Luck it's alot of fun

9. KY KATS

KY KATS New Member

State:
    ky
    We are out at first light and may call all day.They seem to like the snow.

10. mocatman

mocatman Guest

Also when there is front moving in and the weather is getting ready to change is the best time i found to call em in. They will be on the move more than normal looking for an easy meal.

11. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    MY MONEY SAYS MORRIS A FAWN BLEET WOULD DO THE TRICK AT THIS SPOT !!!

OR FIND A ROAD KILL DEER AND BAIT THEM SUCKERS :wink::wink:

IT WAS REALLY COOL SEEING THEM ANTLERS THAT SCORED OVER 300 INCHES :eek:oooh::crazy: I MEAN IT WOULD TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY TRUELY MONSTERS !!!!!!!

WE NEED TO TAKE CHRIS OVER THEIR AND SHOW HIM THEM DEER AND GO OVER TO CHARLIES AND SEE WHAT WE CAN KILL !!!!

IM THE OLDEST SO YOU 2 CAN BE THE DOGS AND DRIVEM TO ME :big_smile::smile2::smile2: 900 ACRES PLUS HAROLDS 200 ACRES AND THEN THE DEER FARM 100 ACRES OR SO WE SHOULD FIND SOMTHING TO KIL OUT AND ABOUT !!!

HOWS SUNDAY SOUND ????

:big_smile: I GOT A NEW SCOPE FOR MY 30.O6 I NEED TO SIGHT IN ANYWAY ..

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the replies.

Morris. Sounds like you had a couple of good outings last year. Bobcats are the coolest critter to hunt.

Matt, great hunt last weekend. A couple of years ago I killed my buck first thing. Prior to gun season I'd seen a lot of yotes. Day after I killed my buck I brought the squealer with me. I didn't squeal on that thing for more than 15 seconds and three came running out of the thick grass. Only 2 left the field. That was a fun hunt.

Scotty, I can't believe you didn't eat the belly meat.:eek:oooh: Just trim a little and you can't tell the difference. If you can then save it all up and feed it to everyone else when they come for a fish fry. Save the best for you.:smile2:

Bullcat, Missouri doesn't allow the use of lights. Must be all mother nature. What a hunt killing 7 red fox. Best I've ever done is 2 yotes in one sitting.

13. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    IT WAS REALLY COOL SEEING THEM ANTLERS THAT SCORED OVER 300 INCHES :eek:oooh::crazy: I MEAN IT WOULD TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY TRUELY MONSTERS !!!!!!!

300 inches? This is the Show Me State. :smile2:

14. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

SHOOT DAVID LET ME KNOW IF YOU EVER COME UP AROUND LEXINGTON OR ODDESSA AND I WILL TAKE YA OVER THEIR ITS A REALLY NEAT PLACE HE SELLS DEER AND DEER SEAMON ALL OVER THE COUNTRY

HE MAKES MORE OFF DEER THEN RAISING CATTLE INFACT LAST YEAR HE SOLD 4 BUCKS TO A RANCH IN IOWA AND GOT OVER 10 GRAND OUT OF THEM .

HERE DAVID THIS WILL GET YOUR FEVER UP YA MIGHT WANT TO LEAVE THE 10/22 AT HOME AND GET A 300 WIN MAG LMAO CHECK THIS OUT COOL KILL SHOT !!!

[youtubevid]ox1bNqNE2ho[/youtubevid]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  15. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Neat video. I may take my AR 15 out and give it a try. Probably take the 12 ga for the close ones.

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    :smile2::smile2:

WELL IM A BIG OLE FAT GUY

LOOKS LIKE ME AND THIS COYOTE THINK ALIKE I BET HES THINKING WHERE IS THE CHIPS ???? OR FRIES :smile2::smile2:

LMAO ...

[youtubevid]09eb88XgZDk[/youtubevid]

17. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    SORRY DAVID MY LAST VIDEO I JUST FIND THEESE FUNNY AND WANTED TO SHARE WITH YA AND MY FRIENDS

THIS IS WHY REDNECKS ARE AGAINST GUN CONTROL :wink::crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

REDNECKS NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM !!!!!!

[youtubevid]fY0xp5YhtyA[/youtubevid]

1 PISSED OFF BOBCAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! IN A TRAP OOOOPSY :smile2::smile2:

18. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Funny video. Not the way I'd released him from the trap.:wink:

19. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    HEY DAVID DO YOU KNOW THE DRENNON BOYS FROM LINCOLN ????

1 OWNS THE STOCK YARDS AT WINDSOR

AND CHIP DRENNON IS A COP UP MY WAY HE LIVES RIGHT NEXT TO THE DEER FARM AND THE LAND I GET TO HUNT ON .

HES REALLY GOOD AT PREDATOR HUNTING WE BOTH HUNTED THE SAME DAY OVER AT CHARLIES

ME AND MY NEPHEW JUST GOT ALL SET UP AND STARTED TO CALL AND HE DROVE IN THE FIELD WITH HIS 4X4 JEEP LMAO WELL THAT HUNT DIDNT LAST LONG :smile2::smile2: WE TALKED A COUPLE MINUTES AND LET HIM WALK DOWN THAT FIELD AND WE WENT TO ANOTHER BUT HE SAID HE GOT A BUNCH OF COYOTES AND BOBCATS LAST YEAR ..

AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE HUNTING YA SHOULD MAKE A TRIP UP TO SEE THE DEER FARM AND HUNT WITH CHIP IF YA KNOW HIM ..

GOOD LUCK BRO WACK AND STACK THEM FURS !!!!!!

20. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know Chip...he hunts and loves to catfish. Nice guy.