"Precision bait-drifting for big river blues"

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by dougc, Aug 1, 2009.

1. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Check out the Aug/Sept. edition of In-Fisherman for a great article on John Jamison & Mark Thompsons tactics & techniques for drifting and bumping baits on the big rivers. Very informative and eye opening to the ways of the top catters!

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got it, but i aint got a boat lol so im out of that artical,:angry:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I read it , WE have been fishing that same way here for years. I started fishing that way I guess around 1976 when I got my first Trolling motor.
    Its killer on fish, I can fish the same spot that someone else is drifting through with the current or wind. Or anchor fishing. And for the most part smoke them on fish. I have had hundreds of days where others were catching 5 or 6 fish and 2 of us would put 40 or 50 fish in the boat in the same time frame they were crying theres no fish here. LOL
    It takes a little time to get used to fishing this way, but after you get the feel of it. It changes the way you fish a lot of sections of your water.
    When I got the Power drive trolling motor controlled drifting got better for me. Allow the trolling motor to hold the course for me, then when they came out with the Huminbird 987c-SI now that opened up a new world of fishing. Shoot its nice to see a big fish holding on a log. Mark it and drift your bait back to it 40 yards up to 150+ yards and catch that fish. I had people telling me when I bought this unit, It was not for catfishing. Glad to see more info getting out on this style of fishing. That we have been doing at Pickwick day for years.

Pete

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i have been bottom bouncin/controlled drifting for years also. it's amazing how those blues go for a bait coming down the river with the current. i guess thats how they're programed to feed. it's the most exciting form of fishing that i have ever done. i'm hooked on it for life.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I feel as with controlled drifting. I'm keeping the bait in front of the fish longer. Thus even a fish that may not hit a bait moving through at say 3 mph, Will kill a bait that is moving at say .9 mph in the same current.
    Its like us, if were stuffed and can't hold one more bite. And someone asked us if we would like a piece of pie or cake. We can't handle it. Sit that same pie beside up with a fork. Were going to take one bite even though were full and can't stand one more bite.
    This to me is the fish, Leave that bait in there face and there going to hit it. They may not be hungry, But given the chance like that. They will hit the bait.
    Even people bumping bottom straight down does not catch as many fish as when you slow it down.
    Works for us and had for years.
    Pete

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll check the article out. I 99% of the time anchor up, and any drifting I've done, is at the will of the wind/current. Would love to incorporate new techniques.

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would love to read about this. We drift for blues on the Ohio a lot and do pretty well but I would love to get my hands on the "precision bait drifting for big river blues" to see what it saids. Anyone know if there is a way to read this online somewhere like there website. Im not subscribed to there lit. so I wont get it.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    If you have a Barnes & Noble in your area, they should carry it. Also seen it at Wal-Mart.

9. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have tried it a couple times since reading it and have not really had any luck yet. It is alot harder than it sounds, but I havn't been using a graphite rod and think that I am loosing a lot feel of the botttom. I would love to figure it out looks like a great way to catch fish during the day:big_smile:
    I'm nnot going to give up on it yet!

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Your rod has to allow you to feel everything that is going on with your bait and sinker. This is one type of fishing that Graphite is the only way to fly. You have to feel your sinker and bait walking behind the boat. AS if not your going to stay hung up and not fishing.
    When I take someone out for the first time to drift fish, there lost as can be. But after talking them through it they catch on to how it works. Then they start catching fish doing it.
    Theres a lot to it, Sensitive rod is a must, Right size sinker, Right boat speed, Also the right amount of line out to allow you to walk that bait back where you need it. Also keeping your eye on the electronics also. I try to have both of my units where I can watch them both. Back unit Humminbird 987c-SI and front unit Humminbird Matrix 98 both units are color and both have GPS. Will be adding the deal that will allow me to share waypoints between each unit soon. This way If I mark a log or rock pile 91ft left of the boat and 127 behind it. I can pinpoint the structure and fish it fast but cover it also.
    Best way to get the feel of it. Anchor on a spot and bump your sinker back this way. This allows you to take out one step thus making it easer you you to get the feel of what your sinker and bait needs to be doing .

I rig my hooks and sinker up on a 3 way swivel, come off the bottom with 12" of light line to the sinker. (this can break off if sinker hangs) Then my leader (For big fish) is 16" or better. Snell 2 hooks up then about 5" above that a swivel (Without it bait will twist up the leader) then the rest to the 3 way swivel. I run 2 leaders as at times more fish will come off the top set of hooks then the bottom set.
    All in all this rig when I'm fishing it will be 5ft from the top swivel too the sinker. From now until fall the fishing for big fish is going to only get better. I have had days by my self where in 4 hours I have boated 300 lbs of fish averaging 15 lbs. Fishing deep water with a good ledge and wall. The fish here on the Tn love this.
    If the current is running at 2.6 MPH I will try to keep the boat at .9 or around that. Adjust the weight to where it allows you contact with the bottom, but still allow you to move the bait with the current and boat. That is the key get everything where it works together and allows you to walk your bait back while moving.
    Also for me I like long thin pieces of bait for this type of fishing. It does not catch a lot of current but still big enough to attract big fish easy. I take a 12+ inch skipjack fillet each side off the bone. Then cut each piece in half long ways. This allows me to have one hook at the top of the bait and one about half way down.
    Hope to post a video of this type fishing on Wildwolfproducts.com in the coming weeks. Along with how I tie up my rigs and all the info I can give on this type of fishing.
    Pete

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Pete. Waitin on the vid!!

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So Pete,
    What you are basically saying is that if we offer you pie, we can get you to do just about anything we want???:wink:
    That's worth knowing:big_smile:...W

13. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio

Okay are you using circle hooks for this approach or js. also with having a 2 hook setup and knowing how blues roll. Do they ever get all wrapped up. Ya know, one hook in mouth and the other stuck somewhere else from rolling???

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Depends on who made it, and what kind .:cool2:
    Pete

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Robin I for the most part don't use a circle hook. Its a J hook or a Sickle hook.
    If I do have a circle hook on. I drop the rod tip when I first feel a fish, Dropping the rod tip 2 or 3 ft allows the circle hook to do its job. But for me I like a J hook or Sickle this way I can set the hook on the fish.
    As for the 2 hook rig. Never had an issue with the extra hook . most times both hooks are in there mouth. I don't have 6" or more between each hook. Most times it 3" or less between hooks.
    Pete

16. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks a lot pete. in the infisherman "precision drifting" There is a picture of a rig that has a 3way rig just as you described but on up the line 6-10 feet there is another 3 way to get the suspended fish. you ever do this. It looks like a pretty neat rig. Be honest Im Knot (hehehe) for sure if I can set up a rig like that in Ohio. That would be a total of 4 hooks per fishing pole. This is where I was wondering if the fish would get all wrapped up in the other rig. Keep the info comin man. Im excited about this way of fishing. You pretty much use skips or do you shy away from them on ocassion. Just curious because shad are plentyful here but skippies are hard to come by in our area.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If I'm after big fish my top 3-way swivel and top 2 hooks are 6ft or better from the sinker.
    Never had any issues with the top hook getting into the fish if its on the bottom hook. Or the bottom getting into a fish on the top hook. Just have to watch how you dip a fish. I for the most part catch most fish on the top set of hooks. Theres days the fish are just not on bottom. Others there stuck to the bottom. This way your covering both depths.
    WE use skipjack when we can get them. If not its shad or When I fillet out fish for a meal. I save all the scraps (As in the red streak down there sides) from when I fillet out the red streak. This is killer bait, when we can't get skipjack I pull out a frozen pack of this, And load the boat with good fish. On say a 4 to 6 lb blue that streak will be 10" or longer and thick as your finger. I will cut that in half and make 2 long baits out of it. Works and best part its free.
    I tied up some rigs last night, Bad part of it is, Having close to $15. in one rig.
    4 hooks, 2 3-way's 2 barrel swivels and lots of line. I have had a few orders for them in the last few weeks. Did not have them on the site. But people would see where I have talked about this type of rig. And ask about buying them. Takes way to long to tie up on the water when fishing. I have a bag filled with them . As it makes you hurt when you break off 2 or three when fishing the bad holes.:eek:oooh:
    Pete

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Also my dad brought me up drift fishing in a way. We used 15ft of log chain tied to our anchor rope. Let the chain out and adjust he chain to where it let the boat drift at the speed you need.
    I still use an anchor some times to fish this way in wind and current. Also use it crappie fishing on Stump filled waters.
    Pete

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Pete, You usually have an ear to the ground regarding new fishing electronics, I was just wondering if you had heard much about Minnkota's new IPilot GPS enabled trolling motor? Looks to be a big advance over the current AutoPilot.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119855

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes I plan on having one by spring. Its going to be killer for boat control.
    Pete