Pre tied leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catfish slick, Jun 30, 2007.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I was reading the post own pre tied leader caddy's sent in by new member Pier Pressure. What a great idea, and it got me to thinking, What is the best length you have found for pre tied leaders and why do you think it's the best. I could find nothing on the BOC talking about a good length for pre tied leaders.

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    leader lenght all depends on a few factors. fishing live bait or dead bait....fishing an area with lots of cover or snags, or fishing a featureless flat. If fishing with live bait and you can keep out of snags I would use about a 12 inch leader so that my bait can swim up and struggle a little better. I've been fishing around a lot of rocks and snags lately and just recently started using a slip three way rig. It allows me to break off in a snag easily and 9 outta 10 times keep my bait & hook. I also beleive that the three way gives a beter presentation for live bait. If you're interested I'm sure you can find information about all different types of rigs previously posted on here.......and if you decide to ever use the slip three way rig make sure to make your sinker leader as short as possible so it won't just wrap around your main line.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I tie mine about three ft in length and roll it up on three fingers and tie it with a twist tie...Then I cut it to length depending on the fishing circumstances....Dwight

4. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    Current is another big factor in leader lenghth. A river with a fast current you will want to use a shorter leader and in a lake bottom fishing you can use a longer leader. You want the fish to easily catch the bait.

Joe

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Joe.
    That's one factor I had not thought of useing a longer leader, not being able to catch the bait in a swift current.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use an 18 inch leader in calm water, and an 8 inch leader in moderate current. i had a problem with live bait wrapping the leader around the mainline, so i switched to stiffer line, like 50# big game, and got rid of that problem. the length of leader also has to do with size of fish, to me. i have used 5 inch leaders that couldn't stand the runs of some bigger fish. a longer leader seems to take more shock. i use braided line, and my leaders are there for a little stretch. a short leader won't stretch enough to make it worth it, imo.