pre-Spawn......early Spawn?????

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, May 23, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just wanted to note that a few of the Blues I caught Wednesday were a little marked up already. Kind of interesting? Anyone else seeing this?

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    You might be on to something SkipEye? The bite was so slow, i tried fishing everything, sand flats, slack water, rip rap, you name it i tried fishing it:beat_brick: but all the fish i caught were in deep heavy water?

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I know this doesn't dictate whats happening there but this is how it is here.
    I know I fish different rivers way to the East of you all but the last 2 Channels I caught(Big Sandy River about half mile before it dumps into the Ohio) were full of eggs and their tails were a little bloody. Also one Channel I found on the bank that had been senselessly killed by about 3" of its tail cut off and an old corroded railroad spike jammed through its gills and ripped open was PLUM full of eggs. There would have been an a$$ whipping If we had known who had done it. That was BS!!!!!!:angry::angry::angry:
    I did use parts of the fillets to try for Channels that night but all I caught the 2 Channels on was uncooked Shrimp in about 20-25' of water.

BTW, the eggs looked about 2-4 weeks before mature enough to lay, maybe less???:confused2:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Lots of the 5 to 10 pounders I've caught in the last few weeks on the upper LOZ are beat up like they've been spawning, but I doubt it though as the water temps were only about 60 to 64 then. Everything I've read says it needs to be at least 70 degrees, preferably around 80, for blues and channels to spawn; flatheads do it a little bit cooler.

Here's a good article from Fish & Game magazine: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/RA_0606_06/index.html

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree and have always heard about the magic # 70* but with all this crazy weather we've had here and all the way out your guys way, nothing would surprise me at all.I think Its gonna be a messed up year all the way around for the spawn. JMHO!:wink::big_smile:

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for the great article link Marty. Seems I can't rep you until I spread some around.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    They can't start spawning till I catch a few.. Geeze what a year..

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Remember Harold, it's only polite to let the guy with the boat catch the big one!:smile2:

Do we need a tow-behind craft to haul your lunch?

The water is still up pretty high on the Grafton gage, think you can find your spots? Probably changed a bit since 1964. LMAO!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Read the article Marty posted a link too. Had a lot of info I never knew. From the water temps stated in the article we still have a while before the spawn but the fish should be staging by now or getting close.

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

We can always hook the floater up behind the cat sass to haul you guys stuff.......LOL

11. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I haven't caught enough fish this year to know. :sad2: However, in past years it seems the channels started to spawn the first part of May. The blues during last part of May, and the flatheads during June.

All of the old timers use to say when the wheat browns the flatheads were on the beds. That is usually around June in these parts.

12. boots

boots New Member

State:
    illinois
    1964:smile2::smile2:, I take it back skipeye, the old holes he knows has gone and came back as the river flows by now.:smile2::smile2:

13. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You know if I wanted this kind of abuse I could just stay home this weekend.... hehehe

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The Ohio River has spawning fish right now, and there are some fish here on our section of river beginning the spawning process if not laying eggs already.

I agree with the 70 degrees that the fisheries biologist indicate is a good rough guess and it is true that the Missouri and Missippi are running 64-65 degrees. HOWEVER, keep in mind we have been in flood conditions for several months now. The water temperatures in the tributaries is at 70 degrees and even higher. Within the next two weeks the big females will start to be hard to come by for awhile. I dont doubt that we have few fish spawning, and in the next two weeks like Chris said the Blues will be busy procreating. Thats a great time to go after the flat heads until the Flatties start spawning in the middle of June. Once the flats are into spawn, thats a great time to go back after the Blue Cats. Then "whata ya know" its July and August my FAVORITE time for those Pig Blues. :big_smile:

My 2C Cents Worth. I do think there are some fish starting to spawn though.

15. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    the fish we are getting right now have moved up to shallow water, most of them have been up in the trees in the flooded areas, i havent got a bite out in the deep holes. ive been setting up next to the brush thats under water , get hung up alot but im getting some fish in these type of areas. most have been comming out of 15- 20 ft. some are marked up but i dont think its from being on the beds or makeing beds yet. the water temp today was 64 plus the river is so high, it has came back up to 32 ft. thats just under flood stage down here. FOR SALE 20FT. OF WATER ABOUT 150 miles LONG 1 MILE WIDE , 20 ft OFF THE TOP. please remove bye the 31th. so we can fish the tourney. lol

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

1964!!! ROFLMAO!!!! Even back in '64 he was Old!! hehehe:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yeah 12 years old to be exact... hehehe

18. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I went fishing below Bagnell Dam this past Thursday and almost every blue cat that we caught was all scraped up and bloody. My biggest for the day, a 12 pounder, looked like somebody started to skin him and then threw him back in the water.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like spawning fish to me. At least they ARE eating there though. Nice work Seth.

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    A couple of the blues that we caught this morning were all skinned and beat up. The other 2 were untouched. None of them had eggs in them either.