PRE RUT

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CopeMan, Oct 3, 2008.

1. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Just thought id see if any of they deer are startin their pre rut stage in your alls areas. Today while taking a buddy turkey huntin i did some scouting on a new piece of property and found no scrapes, rubs, nothin to indicate bucks were around UNTIL we stumbled onto some small(50x50) medows that were surronded by small cedars and locust. This small stretch of area looked to be a hotbed for buck activity. Saw 14 different ground scrapes several rubs and lots of good size tracks. I belive if i can put the wind, timing , and a little luck into it ill see some of the dominant bucks of this area. The farm is a little over 300 acers and like i said the only buck sign was in this 50x50 clearings. Weird never seen such a concentration of buck sign. Also starting to see a few ranging bucks along the roads in the mornin. Id say its getting that time around here. Good luck and good huntin

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    aaron it's been so hot here i wonder if they will ever start. all the bucks we have seen, regardless of size, have been with does though. the other day while hunting a salt cedar thicket i found the biggest deer tracks i have ever seen. these things would cover my palm (without fingers of course) and are a little longer than my pam is wide. pretty impressive! i have looked all over for scrapes and rubs, but all i have found is rubs i saw last year. good luck to you this season!

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Nothin around here yet either.I have had several bucks on the game cams but nothing i would consider a shooter,a couple small 8t's,a 4,and a 6 pointer other than that no scrapes or rubs.usually dont see any till the 2nd week of oct around here then the third and fourth is when i get the pics of the bigger bucks and start really seeing where they tear up some ground.good luck to all:big_smile:

4. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Its been way too hot out in my neck of the woods. I'm hoping that it will start around the third or fourth week of November, but then again you can't really tell when it will kick off here in Texas.

5. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Its still a little warm here. Startn to get mornin temps in the low 40's. Man im foamin at the mouth cant wait. Good luck

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Its been warm up here but its finally cooling down. I've heard of someone who's starting to see rubs popping up but I havent seen any yet when I was out for the special reg. area doe hunt the past 2 weeks.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Rain stopped me from hunting this mornin. Yesterday evenin i was in the woods a couple hours and never seen any buck sign at all. Nothing, zilch, notta hook or anything. No worries, last year was the same way but i took one that got me in the books from the same place. I seen several smaller bucks last year and know some of them are still there. We need more cool weather i think before it really gets to kickin in here.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Been seen rubs and scrapes for 2 to 3 weeks now up around Polo. Bucks are still usually by there selves. Had more bucks last year than does per count for our hunting party. Had never seen this before but I'm not complaining. LOL

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Started seeing scrapes here about 2 weeks ago. Smaller ones at the edges of a few fields. It has been so dry and hot I was suprised to see that much action. Now that we have had some rain the action seems to be picking up a little more now.

10. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've been seeing rubs for two weeks, but I have not seen any scrapes yet. One of my buddies did see two large bucks get into a fight the other day on a property that we hunt. He said they started out sparing, but it escalated into a fight when the more dominant buck hit the other buck in the neck with its antlers. Nine days from now is when I killed my buck last year, so if the temperature stays cool like it has been, the bucks should become more active in one to two weeks.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    There are quite a few rubs here, but they won't start scraping until the end of this month. It's pretty hot here. I did find a place today where it looked like a couple had sparred a little bit. An area about 20'X20' was torn up real good.

12. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I believe its startin to pick up quick round these parts. Put dminant buck lure on my boots on the way in just for the heck of it and made a mock scrape before daylight. To my suprise about 830 a decent, not fully mature 8pt came down my trail and pawed in the scrape. He was prolly a 115 120 class deer. This is a good sign to see deer out at that time doing that with the temps we are havin here. Supposed to get warmer this week so thatll prolly shut em off. Who knows. Good luck to all. Keep me posted.:big_smile:

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw a lot of scrapes last week but no rubs. I have never seen so much activity in my life as I have been in this new piece of land I am hunting . Maybe this will be the year I get one with my bow. I have only had 2 shots at deer with my bow in 14 years of hunting, but now I have somewhere to hunt worth a crap. I have had 2 close calls in the last 2 times I went out. I thnk this will be the year for me to tag my deer with a bow. Trust me even if it is a doe I will be showing some proud picks of her the second I get her outa the boat.