pre pawn lake shawnee

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by team salmon, May 24, 2009.

1. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Just wanted to let some folks know that the pre spawn bite is heating up at lake shawnee in topeka - Fri. night 9 keepers - big fish 7 1/4lb all the rest 2 1/2 to 4 - lasnight 13 - big fish 6 1/2 lbs others 2 to 4. Hitting so hard switched to circle hooks instead of kahles - cut fresh shad 3 to 5 feet of water along weed beds with chunk rock or dead falls about 1/2 way back in the coves - cut back pockets have been best for the #'s but the bigger fish are coming off the weed bed points - best fishing has been between 10:30p.m. and midnight and then a good # around 2a.m. Surface temps are in the mid 70's and there are lots of small schools of shad roaming - good luck!!!!!

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on the fish! Hopefully that luck comes this way soon!!

3. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on the fish! I saw a guy catching them off the dam out there yesterday, he was using a bobber and minnow about 4ft deep. All the channels were around 3lbs or so.

4. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Went back sun evening and fished for 4 hrs and only caught 1 around 3lbs - decided to fish mon. morning with the front coming in and just hammered em - caught 15 keepers with about a 7pounder being the best - no wind sun so I think thats what had em slowed up - caugh the ones mon up on the south end in about 2 ft of water - just tore em up untill 2 guys bass fishing came right between the bank and us then we never caught another one - we were anchored about 45 yds from the bank to not spook em out of the shallows - my 2 girls (14 and 12) weren't too happy about the 2 other guys but at least they know better!! I think shawnee is around 600 aceres or so but you know how some guys are - they see ya catching some fish and just can't controll themselfs - I'm glad I'm teaching my kids better - all in all great day on the lake though:big_smile: