pre-packed shad question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Mar 24, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont know what the brand name is but my brother inlaw bought some and there is no packaging ingreedience on the jar-does anyone have a clue how they pickle them? I aint spending almost 4.00 for a little container when I can get nets full-but like now they arent there...and I am thinking I can do the same dang thing on a little grander scale ........at home fer times like this when we cant get em here!

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    not sure but you can catch your own shad and get a vacume seal macine and package them they will stay fresh for a long time

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know how they "pickle" them, but I've had to buy them before in a pinch, and man were they rank!!! They stunk sooo bad that the turtles wouldn't even eat them. SO...needless to say, I avoid them now. Some might be great, but I make sure to catch plenty of fresh bait. I've had good luck with shad guts in a jar for channel cats though.

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I can see it now you coming home saying fire up the canner got me some fish to can.:smile2:

Joking aside I haven't caught anything out of those jars.Just know you need to make sure lid is on tight.They will wreck havoc on your nose when it leaks in the car.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont know how they do it ,Kenny,but a friend of mine salted some heavy with seasalt and vacpacked and they were like fresh when thawed out ,and we caught fish on em.