pre packaged shad

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by missouri cat hunter, Jun 15, 2009.

1. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    has any one ever had any luck on the pre packaged shad i bought some from wal mart a couple of times and never had luck i think its just a bunch of garbage the best thing ive used to catch some nice looking cats is freshly cut baid like gills and shad

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    ive tried it in various differnt ways puttin blood dip bait on em while on the hook too Nothing absoutly nothing waste of money period.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    first off welcome Ron to the Boc, second; dont ever by that crap again! instead look a few feet down that shelf somewhere and find u a cast net. u are better off catching ur own bait. if u dont know how to use it, buy it anyway its nothing to learn plus you'll bet able to catch ur own shad or other bait fish. use fresh bait and put some in the freezer, but stay away from the walmart crap.

4. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree, I think the prepacked shad is a gimic. THere is nothing better than the real thing. If you have the means to use real (Fresh) bait then you need to use it. I think anyone can go to a creek or pond and catch all the bait they need i.e. creek chubs, bluegill, crawfrish.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    In total agreement !! The stuff from Wally world is a waste of good money.Like stated get yourself a net.I'd start out with the 4 ft net.They work just as good my Humble Opinion.Learn how to use it and you'll be saying [why didn't I do this sooner]If you fish around Clarksville Dam you can usually get Shad early in the morning and evening from the bank in the narrow water along that wall.Along with gar ,sunfish ,bluegill and a bass now and then.You'll save money in the long run. So far I haven't gotten hung up in there.I don't make promises though.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I see a few new members posting on here so I want to take this opportunity to WELCOME each of U to the best Catfish Site going.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Ron Welcome to the BOC
    You got it Bro. I have heard the packaged shad is waste from where they extract the oils out of them and then package them. Cast net is the best way to have good cat bait. Shad bluegills and such.

8. simpsonese

simpsonese New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When using bluegills for bait do you use them whole or cut?

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kirk I like to use both. I was recently shown how to set up a kat bobber check them out. Throw one of those out with a live one on. A member from my area got a 16lb channel on a 7" green sunfish under a bobber. And the packaged stuff is junk! Get yourself a cast net, fresh is always best!:wink:

10. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kirk I like to use both. I was recently shown how to set up a kat bobber check them out. Throw one of those out with a live one on. A member from my area got a 16lb channel on a 7" green sunfish under a bobber last weekend. I also like to use the heads on the bottom. And the packaged stuff is junk! Get yourself a cast net, fresh is always best! Welcome to the BOC!:wink:

11. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can use them either way. I like to use them alive and kick'n on a float or a bottom rig.

12. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As far as packaged shad I would not buy it. If you don't have a throw net go to a local bait store and buy some shad side's. They will be alot better than the bag stuff.

13. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    The pre packaged shad works great......for catching fisherman:smile2:

14. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    its does work great for that......:wink:

15. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey, great post! i always wondered about those shad at walmart. now i don't have to get suckered because of your post! thaks man, shane

16. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Like you said before garbage, I've used the packaged shad a few times & did'nt even get a bite. really is a waste of money

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    waste of money

18. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Now there was one time I caught a 5 pound channel on the 'shad' sides , but if anything , they were being used to assist in keeping the liver on a single hook. I wasted $ 4.67 on that refuse 2 weeks ago and the only thing I've seen actually eat them is a family of large crawfish in riprap!!:sad2: