Pre-made Leaders

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Matthew72, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got some leaders for Christmas and I am wandering how to tell what the weight limit on them are. They come in 6", 8", 10", 14" and 18" length. Also, can you tell me some good ways to use them?

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Need a bit more info, leader length has nothing to do with pound test. If they are commercially made, pound test should be on the package somewhere. What are they made of, mono, steel etc.?

3. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    They are steel. I heard they may be 27lb test.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If they are steel, will probably hold more than your reel can handle. Unless you are fishing for very toothy fish you wont need them, mono will work just fine.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree with Bam, If u aint fishing for fish that have teeth the steel leaders aint worth it. The mono leaders will do just find.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use steel leaders on some occasions. mostly just one one spot where i seem to catch a lot of gar when im catfishing and enjoy fighting gar and not having them bite my line as soon as they take my bait. other than muskie, gar and other fish like that then your fine using a mono leader.

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've never used wire or steel leaders so I can't help with how to use them.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Just remember what the pound test was on the package and file them away in your tackle box. You don't need them for catfish, but you might find yourself in need of one someday.

9. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    you got em for christmas, use em.i always use free stuff first.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Sometimes I use them for walleye and especially pike. They're good to have in your tackle box. Don't know about the #test though, should say on the packaging though. HTH

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We started using steel leaders when we are trolling shad raps for walleyes. The gar will some times bite the leaders off and at around 6 bucks a piece the crank baits can get expensive when you have several guys in the boat with a 1/2 dozen lines out.