Pre-fishing for a tournament

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by jmjackson333, May 20, 2009.

1. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    I always try to pre-fish for a tournament if at all possible. I have always wondered about a few things, and I would like to hear some opinions on the subject.
    When should you pre-fish prior to a tourney?

If the weather and water conditions change, does it always mean that fish behavior and patterns will also?

If you catch a good fish while pre fishing or any fish for that matter, will it be off the bite for a while?

If so, how long? And will it be shy from that particular bait? For example, you catch it on shrimp, will it not eat shrimp if it finds it again, but it maybe would eat liver?
    Please share your experiences.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Weather changes can change the fish patterns.

I have had my line broke one day only to catch the same fish 2 days later with my hook still in it's mouth.

I pre-fish with no hooks. I use a needle to thread my line through the bait and tie it on. Believe me.....it works.

3. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    So I take it from your statements, that though it may not affect them, it is better to err on the safe side!

4. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well one thing I can say, atleast when it comes to channel cats, those little guys are some bruisers, on several occasions I'm pretty sure I've caught the same fish twice in one night, and on one occasion I know for a fact that I caught the same fish 3 times in one night because he still had my leader in his mouth from being guthooked the first time I caught him.

I think though that it mostly depends on how much fight you've taken out of the fish when you catch it, if you tire it out too much it's probably not going to feed again for a while.

5. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    if i can i always try to pre fish the night b4 but i only catch 1 or 2 b4 i move just so i know there in a spot and i can hopefully catch some more the night of the tournment

6. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im not really sure about the whole prefishing a tourney. We are gonna prefish for saturdays tourney but was also curious if it hurts the fishing...Ill let ya know when we get back and hopefully have good news...Thanks tho!

7. FreeWorldFishing

FreeWorldFishing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not sure if it hurts or helps, but I do know that it's very frustrating to prefish a tournament and catch a lot of large fish, then do terrible on tournament day.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Wow, now that's using you head!

If you we're to hang a couple 40lber during pre-fishing, what's the chance of those 2 same fish biting again with a sore mouth?:wink: Recapturing a big flat out of the same hole on consecutive days can happen, but the percentages are low.