Pre-dawn baitshop near Lake Conroe?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by joecatfish, Dec 16, 2005.

1. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    I am taking my 9 YO grandson to lake Conroe tomorrow morning for a little crappie fishing. Anyone know of a place in the area to purchase minnows at 6:00 AM? Also, suggestions about where to catch a mess of crappies would be appreciated. It is supposed to be raining, so I would like to stay near the truck in case he gets too cold or too wet.
    Thanks, and God bless,
    JoeCatfish

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I assume you'll be in a boat. The FM 1097 bridge across the lake is supposed to be a pretty good place to dunk minnows for crappie. The like the warmth put off in cold weather by the bridge supports. Plus, if it starts raining, you can keep dry under the bridge. The Forest Service has a boat ramp above the bridge, think its called Scotts Ridge. Just put out there and go back down tothe bridge. Saw where a guy fishing for crappie with minnows caught a 14+ lb bass at that location. Can't help with the minnows. Don't know what time Gander Mountain in Spring opens, but they have minnows.

3. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you, Sir. The only boat I own at present is an 11' inflatable, and my daughter does not want the boy in that boat. Unfortunately, we will be without a boat. I am looking for a small jonboat or rowboat, but don't have a lot of money to spend. I will look up Gander Mountain in Spring on the internet and see what their hours and location are. IThe 1097 bridge sounds like a great place. Wonder if it would be worth it standing underneath the bridge and fishing?
    Again, thanks.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    This is probably too late, but don't believe you can stand under the bridge, no where to park and access it. If the inflatable is a good quality one, its sad your daughter won't let her son go in it. The good ones, while difficult to paddle, are probably safer than most boats. Another place to try is the Cagle Recreation area on 1375.

5. jesse

jesse New Member

State:
    texas
    hey guys i was finaly able to get in after 3 days of disapoints thanks tim for your patients i was going to give up on friday how do you all get your pictures on there.

6. joecatfish

joecatfish New Member

State:
    TX
    Yes, that's right, Jesse. Same to you!
    Thanks,
    Joe