Prarie Dog Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by ldw45, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone into Prarie Dog hunting? Use to go up to the Rosebud every year to shoot. Always had a great time with lots of dogs around Memorial Day weekend.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those littli varmints are a blast ,I used to hunt then here a few years ago ,Till the landowner had em all poisoned off. I have recently found another place only 30 miles away and since the ranch owner is an old school buddy of mine ,I have gained permission . I plan on introducing my Daughter into it this summer.

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Richard,
    We don't have the Prairie dogs hear in california, but we do have it's cousin. The ground squirrel and they are as bad a pest as the Prairie Dog's, and just as much fun to hunt. Most The ranchers around hear are happy to have some one to help keep the population down. I hunt with a rugar 10-22 with a 3 by 9 bushnell scope. great little Squirrel gun, and it's a tack driver. I had a friend that I use to hunt with until he moved to Missouri, He hunted with a marlin bolt action 17 , Now that is a great little squirrel gun, but the ammo is still priced a little to high for my liking. If they ever start putting it on sale like they do the 22 shells I may just have to get me one. Richard what part of New Mexico do you live in, we will be going through new Mexico in about two weeks on our way to Texas. Last time I went through there I seen a lot of Prairie dogs on the side of the road. It's hard to keep your mind on your driving with all those good targets on the side of the road.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I live out on the North Eastern plains,Plilip. I'm only about 30 minets from the TX line. I worked in Dalhart TX for a while and there are tons in that area.I live north East of Tucumcari N M. just above I 40.

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Richard,
    That looks like great country for hunting. I have a question for you , I see all the antelope on the side of the road when travailing through that country. Do the people back their hunt and eat Antelope. I have seen them so Close to the road, that I could have hit them with a B.B. gun. They don't seem to be afraid of anything. We will be travailing I 40 when we head for Texas. That is if the diesel price Doesn't get to much higher. I seen it in Bakersfield CA. last week $430 a gallon.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Pronghorn hunting is a big thing out here,My son guides for an outfitter and last season I got three hams and two front shoulders. I dont have to hunt em,but I aint spendin 1000$ to do it either :smile2:

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we kill the heck out of those prairie dogs here, just south of amarillo. i don't have a big field to shoot on like i would prefer, so i just use a marlin bolt action .22 lr. got my older daughter into it last year and now she's addicted. i had some pics on here somewhere of her on a few trips.

8. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    I live in utah and the prairie dogs where I go almost outnumber the people that live in the area. I shoot them with a 17hmr and when they get hit in the head you know it. I need to get mine back into sight before summer though. My cousin nocked it ou of sight. The thing that I like about the 17hmr is the bullet only drops 2 inches at 200 yards. If you want an awesome dog gun get a marlin 17hmr they are killer.

9. dkshep502

dkshep502 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    no dogs here but groundhogs are just as good to shoot. I use a ruger #1v in220-swift. it will get out there. I would like to try the dogs but don't know how to go about it. (Where to go, how to contact the owners) any ideas would help.

Don

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a .220 swift will do great on p dogs. the p dogs don't hold together like a groundhog will! when i lived in utah as a kid we hunted rockchucks in the wasatch and cache mountains. we shot them with our deer rifles, .270 ad .30-06. man that was a blast! when i get a bigger place to shoot on, i want to get another .22-250. its great on coyotes and deer as well.