Prairie dogs

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Aug 1, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    me and my 6 year old went out to shoot some varmints, the one on the left is hers, i got the rest. we had a blast and shot copenhagen cans filled with dirt after this. she's getting to be a pretty good shot. this is the first p dog she's got so far!
    we were both shooting .22 long rifle.

Attached Files:

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hi Jordan,
    Thanks for the picture. I started my kids and grandkids on 22's and we always enjoyed shooting through the years. One thing about Texas, we have plenty of prairie dogs and rattlesnakes to shoot at.
    Bill

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jorgan, good way to start her out. So many kids are taught nothing about firearms and hunting. Then some school teachers teach them the way of PETA.

I was raised in west TX. I've shot a many prairie dog. We had a prairie dog town on our place and there was a couple more close by. Once my brothers and I killed over a 100 jacks one day. Brought them in for the hogs and chickens. We had to skin them for the chickens.

Had plenty rattlers down in the Blanco Canyon.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    That is one big field and not a shade tree in sight!Wow!Thanks for sharing.I love the little girl and the pink rifle.I got a "Chipmunk .22"for my grand kids.It sure looks like you are in some serous need of trees.How do you Squirrel hunt out there?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for the kind words guys. i do my best to teach my kids about guns and hunting. not just because hunting and shooting are a blast, but i want them to know how to act around a gun if they came across it at a friend's house, or if a friend asked them to see their guns at our house.
    the older one here is really taking to hunting! i have decided to put off getting her a .410 for dove season, we are going to put it off for a year. it sucks because we saw around 400 doves just during an afternoon shoot.
    here's a pic of her shooting my little .22 mag pistol. except for the .22 lr, all guns she shoots will be accompanied by hearing protection. i don't need the kids deaf in one ear like i am, haha!

Attached Files:

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I failed to comment about the cute picture and now you added another.
    I had to show both to my wife, we loved them. She's a cutie and we like the pink 22. :big_smile:

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    its great you are introducing your daughter at a young age. way to go dad! wish i got an earlier start. Those .22mag pistols are loud. i shot my uncles .22automag and it sounds like a .45acp, followed by a 2ft flame leaving the barrel, fun though!

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    There so lucky, To have a dad that will teach them how to enjoy shooting and the outdoors.
    I hope to make a trip some day to shoot a few dogs my self. Always hear how much fun they are to shoot.
    I did buy a 17 HMR a few years ago. Had a trip set up but it did not happen.

Keep up the good work.

Pete

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Awsum ,Jordan. Sounds like you an the kids had a great time,reps on teaching them about the finer things in life. I havent shot prariedogs in years and I really miss it as its a fun way to keep in tune in the off season.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The only personal experience that I have with Prairie Dogs were my 4 pet shop bought pets that I had for about 5 years in a covered 4'x8'x4' wire cage packed with square bales of hay.They tunneled out a "town" in it and even hibernated in it in the cold days of the winter.I have also had Guinea pigs and Rabbits which take much the same care and are raised as food animals in parts of the world.They also taste great as do Squirrels when they are not on certain pine nuts as they can get a slight "turpentine" flavor.Our Cottontails are great,but I have heard that your "Jacks" out west can get to be poor fare due to their diet at times.At one time or another I have eaten most all of what we consider "pets" in the U.S..Most are very good if cooked right.Being that many Americans now think all food comes from the fast food joints they see no reason to kill any animal for food.As "everyone" knows,hamburger comes from Mac Donald's,chicken from Kentucky Fried Chicken,bacon,sausage,ham and eggs come in a biscuit from the burger joints.Thanksgiving and Christmas Turkey & Ham dinners are are now ordered like the Chinese takeouts." Only Domestic Terrorist kill animals".Farms are where the "Petting Zoo" comes from.How we have changed in my 62 years.It just seems that the Prairie Dogs that I had would be good eating from what I fed them.I don;t know about the wild ones diet and taste.I sure would like to have seen that record 25,000 square mile Texas Prairie Dog town with a population of 400 million Prairie Dogs that I found on the internet.Wow! I can not imagine riding for over 158 miles thought a single Prairie Dog town if it was square.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    make sure and take that girl fising as much as hunting.i used to fish with my son all the time.then when he turned 12 i bought im a single shot 30/30 and took him deer hunting.he killed a 6 point buck and a doe then went hunting crazy.now when i call to go fishing hes either squriel,coon,rabbit or turkey hunting and i fish alone.o by the way hes 27 now.so keep them fishing as well as hunting.thanks for the pics.they are adorable.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Peewee,
    I've never heard of anyone eating an old Jackrabbit but I'm sure some have. They made good poor folks hog feed.

I've also read about that big TX prairie dog town. I don't doubt it for they will spread like fire. Where we last lived in TX the city started a little fenced in prairie dog town in one of the city parks. They installed a fence that went down in the ground... that didn't slow them, in a few years there was prairie dog holes all over the park.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Pee Wee I've never tasted prarie dog but years ago I bought a Chilie Cook Book and as I remember it had a recipe for chihi made with prarie dog ,with a side note that they had an 'earthy flavor' not for me I'll just stick to using them for target practice ,hope the peta folks dont read this.:smile2::smile2:

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Through out mans recorded history,the "Peta and SPCA type folk" always found a good reason to justify eating other folk when times got real hard.I have always loved my dogs and liked my cats but for the way we were raised,they would be a food item for us as they are for millions.I thought that they and Horse tasted good along with a lot of other "exotic" species.It is nice eating what I want instead of what I could get.I do not see why a Prairie Dog would not taste as good as a Guinea pig or Rabbit kept and fed the same.I came up where people raised what they ate.We all raised and petted the many animals that we later ate.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I talked to this older gentleman at the pagan river pier while fishing a little while back. We talked about hunting and eating game. He told me if it has fur it tastes good. He said he has eaten fox and possum before:eek:oooh: as well as an egret:confused2:. so my guess is that, just like other animals it will taste ok if cooked right

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey johnnie, the girls are fishin fools too, just like their dad. my fishing does suffer from september 1st to around the end of november though. as soon as the freezer is full of deer though, we turn to the blue cat and walleye fishing with a quail, duck, goose or pheasant hunt thrown in when we can. a lot of times we hunt ducks in the morning during the winter, then fish most of the day, and get back to the ducks and geese for the evening flight. the girls won't be big enough to handle that type of hunting for a couple more years, or sitting out in 5-10 degree weather all night either. their mother has informed me of this fact, so i take it as gospel! :smile2:

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    great pics jordan! keep up the good work brother.

18. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Awesome way to start the kids off.