Prairie Dog Madness

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by N2Ducks, Feb 10, 2006.

1. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dose anyone shoot prairie dogs? I have been hunting for them and shot at them but a 300+ yard shot is pretty hard. What are y'alls thoughts?

2. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    What are you using? I don't have any experience but I know from boards like this that alot of the guys who make it look easy:
    1. have been at it awhile
    2. have very accurate guns in
    3. inherently accurate calibers
    4. with freaky-big scopes
    5. and brenchrest style supports.

3. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used a .223 with a 9 power scope. My brother just got a sako 22-250 with bull barrel and a swaroski 24 power scope so I think we are going to try it this year.

4. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I think you'll see a noticeable difference between the two guns.

Swarovski makes a superb scope (which is just as important as the magnificaton difference...don't know what you have on yours though, a top level 9x is more than enough...a so-so quality is going to be so-so at 300yards) Yes they shoot the same bullet but .223 is running out of steam fast at 250yards and the 22-250 is still going strong past 300.

Good, luck. Its one of the many things I wish I could try, but we just don't have prairie dogs around here. Coyotes are the only thing to use my 22-250 on. (and if you promise not to tell...they don't do a bad job on deer IF you load with Nosler partitions and shoot heads. Factory loads are complete nightmares and a shame)

5. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think my neighbor shot his first Buck with a 22-250. I love the gun it's awesome. Sorry it has a 18 power swaroski scope on it. I'd love to shoot a coyote though. Never have. They are so dang hard to bring in.

6. carl j roach

carl j roach New Member

State:
    florida
    friend of mine was sighting in his 22-250 on the rail of his pickup, shooting across the other rail, yep, rite thru the inside lip, small hole, thru outside, big hole, stick yer finger in it. said he never saw other rail in scope. forgot scope was about 2.5 in higher. hole lot of foaks more carefull now, be safe ,cockroach

7. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah very dangerous. There was a guy here in Central Texas that was taking his grand daughter hog hunting and shot across the hood and it hit the jeep and ricechied and hit the little girl in the chest.

8. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I have gone praire dog hunting we get at most 75 yards and just snipe them out with our .22, with a 9 power cheap scope.

Have yall ever heard of praire dog fishing?
    It is just what it sounds like, and a hell of a good time.

P.S. Worst thing like that i have ever heard was when my uncles neighbor went hunting and it was the kids first time to go pheasant hunting. He shot his first bird, and while picking it up the bird fluttered when he went to pick it up and the bird's claw pulled the trigger on the .410 and shot the kids foot. Terrible thing that really could not be avoided.

9. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I go doggin I take two rifles a Ruger No.1 in 6mm and a Remington 700 in .17 Remington, they are both topped w/ leupold scopes. They both shoot well over 300 yards. These rifles both have their ups and downs, the .17 is only shooting a 20 grain bullet so wind is a factor, but it is more accurate then the 6mm and it makes less noise, which helps the dogs stick around. The 6mm has more kick than the .17, but it shoots better on windy days and when that gun connects w/ a dog it rips them a new one.:)

10. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    We hunted dogs in a fields on the New Mexico - Texas border. The wind was blowing about 30-40 miles per hour it was crazy. So do you think a 22-250 with a 18 power swaroski will do the trick?

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When the wind is blowing that hard its difficult to shoot w/ any gun at long range. I've shot a pile of dogs w/ a 22-250 its a good all around varmit gun.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Do people eat praire dogs,and how do you fix them?I had 3 for pets and they looked to have as much meat as a rabbit.They ate the same things as a rabbit.I know that they are shot as pest,and understand why.I just wonder if they can be used and not wasted.I also know that anything shot with varmint loads are automaticly wasted.I would think that they would be real challenge with a 22 rimfire,and there might be enough left to eat.peewee-williams

13. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm sure some people eat them. I haven't though after getting hit with a .223 or a .270 there isn't alot left at all. LOL

14. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't think I would ever eat a prairie dog, they carry bubonic plague and have you ever smelled one. Like N2Ducks said there ain't much meat on them after you shoot em w/ a high power.

15. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    When I hit a prairie dog with a .50 caliber BMG round from 1000+ yards from my Barett rifle, frankly all I see down range is a red puff. I imagine that statement would not please PETA.
    diodeman

16. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    One of the guys i work with hunts dogs in western oklahoma every time he has a chance. He uses a .223 with handloads. He also has a shooting table in the back of his truck. As far as eating them he says not to even pick them up since they have some diease called monkey pox. He did say that a couple of years ago they just about got wipped out thanks to some diease they had out there.

The guy did say that when he goes he tends to shoot 1500 + rounds a day. And i have to say he is a darn good shot so i don't think he is missing very many.

17. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Prarie dogs are as bad as rabbits. I wouldn't touch them because really, theres nothing left to touch.

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks for the answer on eating prarie dogs.diodeman.Varmit hunting with a 50 BMG catridge,has got to be a very expensive hobby.Prarie dogs at 1000+ yards means that you are a world class shooter.I am sure that our country can and does need you.I think that you are too valuble to waste on prarie dogs.You can make contac at Camp Perry Ohio,1000 Lowrence road,Building 1,Port Clinton,Ohio Zip code-43452-9578.Phome #(614)336-6214.Just let them know how you can shoot.peewee-williams

19. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Items;From 1970 to 1974 my shooting skills were honed for the Dept. of Defense while engaging combatants. I am an expert marksman with a Barrett .50 caliber rifle, Springfield .308 SOCOM II tactical rifle, Winchester 1300 tactical shotgun, Beretta 92FS 9mm semi-auto pistol and a custom made .17 caliber sniper tactical rifle. My distance shooting skills were developed during my teenage years hunting coyotes with a 222 swift for a $3.00 per set of ear bounty. I have answered my countries call, and my skills were utilized to their maximum in service to my country, but thanks for the offer.

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I was right.We sure could use you.Too bad you gave it up.As you know,you are one of a very few people in the world,that can shoot like that.Thanks for what you did.You are with,if not the best in the world,on a given day.Congratulations.Camp Perry would have to be "did and done" to you.Too bad they couldn;t talk you into being a instructer.We still need people like you to train the best.I do admire someone that can shoot like you do.I would think that a lot of people would recognize the name of anyone who can shoot with John Voneida and his record (3.151) at a 1000 yards.You can only be one of a very few people.I understand why you keep your name to yourself.Shooters would E-mail some one like you to death.You have to admit that you did let the cat out of the bag,with the Prarie Dogs at 1000+ yards.I don;t know who you are,but you can only be one of a few.the years,1970-74,and capable of world record groups.That narrows it way down to who you have to be.Congratulations and thanks again for what you have done for our country and the sport of shooting.peewee-williams