Practicing CPR

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 10, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I really dont catch very many fish when it comes right down to it. So if I dont practice catch photo and release its because I dont have that great of access to big cats . Most are big round here cause they got off for whatever reason. CPR is only necessary with those at a certain level of skill! The rest of us are lucky every now and then.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont catch very many big cats either, but the ones I do catch I CPR.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The CPR debate has so many angles to it that most people don't really have theri own opinion, just one based on what they have heard or read somewhere. I feel that the large fish were able to grow up because they were never caught when they were smaller or they were released when they were smaller. Catch and keep a dozen 5# fish and you remove that many fish from the population that might make trophy size. I only keep a couple for a meal and throw all the rest back.

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Ive caught less than ten flatheads in my life. 7 of those I let go. Crappie on the otherhand i dont let go very often. Caught only one bluecat if id known it had eggs id have let her go. Channel cat well ive caught 250 or more biggest 14 lb male on a trotline ...gave it away,.. 10 lb female on a green sunfish ..ate her. Aside from that most channel cat I clean and give to older people I know who cant make it out to fish anymore. You dont see me holding any of those big ones i had. Cause im not that big on needing somebodies approval. No offense.

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I release all cats I catch it`s just what we do.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You don't need anyone's approval. CPR, to me personally, has absouletely ZERO to do with getting someones approval. I guess I can't make a connection between the two. :0a28:

Now if you catch fish like you mentioned on trot lines becasue you enjoy it, by all means go for it. I went w/ a fellow BOC once while limblinning and had a blast. We threw all of them back, but the act itself was fun. What I don't get though is if your trotlinning because you enjoy it and then keeping everything just to keep them, then that's where things get fuzzy to me. It my opinon (just my opinon) fishing for the enjoyment and keeping everything to give away or whatever doesnt make a ton of sense, becasue I'd think eventually depedning on the body of water, you'd take a chance on catching everything or a good % them and then your going to be left w/ having no fun when you go trot linning becasue you wont be getting any fish. *Now of coarse your not goign to fish out a large body of water like the MO River, but from your post it sounds like your fishing a smaller body of water since you said you don't have access to many big fish.

Anyways, like I said, if your having fun, go fot it and who cares if your not catching them (C), taking a picture (P) and releasing them (R), but I'd hope that your at least practicing selective harvest. :0a23:

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I have put out 3 trotlines in last four years. I have to get to them by hand so I was just lucky enough to catch a 14 lb fish . I havent been a member here too long so ive yet to catch any fish worth photographing sorry if i offended anyone. :confused2: By the way even when I did put a trot line out it wasnt 33 hooks only about 5. So I guess i am not such a bad guy. In fact when i fish i use only one pole at a time. And when catfish are stranded in receeding water in spillway at local lake. I net them and carry them back up and place in lake . Its what I do.

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    How much fish can a person eat? I'll be the first to say I dont know about jugs or lines but how many fish do you need?:confused2:

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I keep only the 2-4 pounders for eating. Anything bigger than that goes right back to the water!!!!

10. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I believe in CPR and practice it alot, however, I know I can catch all of the 1-14lbs cats that I want for food so the ones I catch 15lbs and larger I put back. I think it is a personal thing to release large fish but if you are fishing for food and that is all you have access to then who is anyone to say anything about what you do with it. I personally think that CPR or not is a personal preference and no one on either side should scorn anyone that doesn't practice the same methods. We all have our own reasons. I think as long as the fish are not wasted, it is your business and you shouldn't have to explain your actions.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your a good man! Reps for that! :big_smile:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have close to 60 lbs before i start going for fun. my first few months are spent going to stock freezor. i dont keep everything and give it away. i have friends over sometimes and we always cook some up during the year. done it for years. i see a fella at the same lake who keeps every channel he catches. says he gives the little ones to a lady from church. she like pan fryers.

i dont practice that but keep between 60-80lbs a year for my use. bad??? well not to me. this is a natural channelcat lake. consistant current 5000+ acres with a hot water discharge. never been stocked with channles and its abundanly full. so untill theres a decline and there keeping up its not bad. you cant let them just fill the lake full and starve eachother out.

not gonna aruge on this thread. but like deer and squirrels and all game some harvest is neccessary to keep stock healthy. and those who choose to cpr i think its great. then we know we all aint keeping everything. but im a harvester. if i kept everyone i caught it would bo over 150-200 every season. but i dont either. ide say maybe 1/2. during spawn i toss full belly females back. i do my selective harvest so to speak too. im not a scourer of the lake. but butcher. ya i butcher my own deer fish squirrels doves bass crappie ect... lol im just fond of home cooked meals. ide rather come home eat a squirrel i killed hunting and take pics of the one eating in the front yard than go to mc-d's. jmo.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    CPR is not a rule, it is a choice made by the individual!

If I want fish for dinner, I will target channels and small blues usually between 2 and 7lbs. But generally I don't keep any of them especially the ones over 10lbs.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    when the fish are available i always practice cpr, however under 10 pounds goes in the freezer.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Eat bass, bluegills, crappies, walleyes, and trout.

There's nothing wrong with the tradition of harvesting and eating fish.

But please CPR trophy catfish!

16. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I fish all that I can get away with before my wife frowns. It's not hard for me to practice cpr for I really don't care for fish. But I still think 15 and above should be put back in to catch another day.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually throw all largemouth bass back because I dont like the taste of them. As for Bluegils...just not enough there to fool with unless you catch 50 or so, and who wants to clean all those fish...certainly not me. Crappies are very good table fare and I keep lots of legal size fish in a year. I dont have access to very many walleyes or trout all though I have caught a few. That leaves Catfish and Stripers for me. Two of my favorite eating fish in the world. I usually keep most of the striped bass for the table. I throw all cats back over 10 lbs. I throw all Flatheads back as well. I usually consume maybe 50lbs of fish a year. This feeds my family twice a month. A couple of good fish fries a month is all we consume. I usually keep fish in the freezer so that I never run out and when I begin to run low I will keep several 3-10 lbers. I also hunt for anything that has a season and harvest within the regulations. I like to keep my freezer well stocked with plenty of good foods. I also grow as much vegetables as I can and I can all I grow and freeze some too. With the price of foods going up all the time and gas and everything else...gotto save what money you can!!!

18. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I plan to throw back any cats over 10 lbs period. Walleye im afraid ill keep unless under 2 lbs. Crappie they only need be about 9.5 and they go in the bucket.