PR ON MUSKINGUM

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Ben Noll, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A friend and I went to the Muskingum River last night-fished a hole that I had not fished for years.It's just below a sandbar near large boulders with a depth up to 24Ft.We anchored in 17ft well in range of the deep hole and where it shallows up for the sandbar.We fished the whole deal from 3ft to 24ft.First line was in a by 8PM.At 8:30 I hooked and boated a 12-3 on a large gold fish.At 9:30 run number two.In spite of getting hung in the anchor rope he made it to the bottom of the boat-a 43 inch-35.8 pound flat.This fish also hit a large gold fish.Both in about 15ft of water. Thats my personal best flathead-32 pds and change was previous best.I caught a 63pound 2oz blue at Santee(Lake Moultrie) four years ago and that was a thrill-but-just something about those flatheads.Only down side to this trip is that was it.Not another run.We thought we found a honey hole-Oh well-we'll hit it again.Good fishing and be safe.

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    well congrats on your pb

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Way to go Ben! Congrats on your new personal best flathead!

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on the new PB Flat Ben!!

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    good job on the new PB

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ben congrats on your new PB Flathead. WTG.

7. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on the pb!! can't complain if one was a pb!! i would definately hit that hole again!!

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    What area of the Muskingum are you fishing, to find 24 foot depths? Especially right now, with the water so low.

I pretty much always dock in Zanesville. I can tell you, the water is about 3-5 low. Makes for some interesting running with the boat. :) However, even when the water is at is top normal depth, it isn't nowhere near 24 ft. If it is, I have no idea where that spot is.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish,ben

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Great job Ben! Glad to see ya catching some. You use the same equipment you had last time? Musta been a good fight.

11. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey S-man,I caught both fish on a 6500-the one that tried to fall apart the night we were out.It's amazing how much better they work when they are oiled and the damm screws are tight.I did up grade to a 7000 but have yet to catch anything over 12 pounds.

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats on the PB Ben!

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    There are some 20+ foot spots in the Coshocton/Dresden pool, the Philo pool and the Beverly Pool. Those are the 3 pools I know of and there may be more. I don't know of any from Ellis to Zanesville, but I don't fish that area much. Sman done fished it out and I hear tell he is buiding a mansion in Perry county with the proceeds he received from the pay pond guy.... actually he is buying Perry County's largest home... a 1963 Double wide.... all the toothless Perry County women (only leaves out the two tooth twins) gonna flock around him now! :wink:

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yeah, I put in at Dresden...ONCE. I will never do that again. Absolutely destroyed my prop. That area is too shallow for my boat, even when the water isn't all that low.

At $140 a pop, I can't afford to fish Dresden. :)

I think I was in the Philo pool, a looooong time ago. Don't remember much about the experience, other than I didn't catch anything.

15. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Congrats on your new PB Ben... WTG...