Powerton-what tackle?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rodsboys, Jan 20, 2006.

1. rodsboys

rodsboys New Member

State:
    Illinois/Alberta
    Just wanting to get a jump on the preperations.I see you guys talking about the flatheads andd I never caught any when I was younger.Always wanted to though.I have a couple of my rigs in mind,but what are you guys pulling them out with?
    Are the flatheads hitting out in the discharge area?If so after the bait settles or wile the bait is still moving?

2. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I use a 7ft6in Zebco Big cat Rod with a Abu 6500 with 30Lb. Line a 5 oz egg sinker and 7/0 Gamakatsu Wide Gape hook. For bait I use a live bluegill, the secret to fishing the disscharge is to tie a balloon to a life saver and tie the life saver to you line. drop your hook in the water and let the balloon float out about 80 to 90 yards out when the life saver melts your hook will fall to the bottom all you use the balloon for is to guide the bait were you want it. For blues I use cut skipjack or shad fish it with the balloon.

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Welcome to the BOC Rivercat2!!! Now I know what you guys are doing at that end. Thank you for the info.

Ray

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    5oz sinker, golly Rivercat2, sure you ain't just washing them in the boat from the wake of that sinker hitting the water?

5. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    Some guys are using 8 to 10 ounce sinkers