Powerton Reservoir or Discharges in General

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CatNAmerica, Aug 8, 2008.

1. CatNAmerica

CatNAmerica New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can someone please offer some advice on line setup when fishing swift currents and ripraps to prevent losing tackle? Thanks

2. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would use a braided line about 30 lb test or so and then use a three way swivel with about a two foot leader to your hook and a short drop to your weight. I would use 10 to 12 lb monofilament for this. You will probably still lose a few weights but you should cut down on losing hooks and it is easier to tie on weights then the whole rig. Hope this helps.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    3 way rig with a 12 inch sinker leader. That sinker leader will be made of mono that is 1/2 the weight of your regular spool. The leader to your hook should be very short 3-6 inches. This will prevent your hook from having too much movement and getting wrapped around the rocks or trees. In swift current you are going to need a heavy sinker, 3 ounces or more.

The reason you make the leader for your sinker out of lighter wieght mono is so that if it becomes trapped between some rocks or other snag, you will be able to snap the sinker off without losing the entire rig

4. CatNAmerica

CatNAmerica New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks alot you guys. And also what type of sinker would you use and have you ever had any luck using floats in those conditions? TIA

5. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would just use the cheapest bank sinkers you can find as you will lose some. I've never used floats in this situation, but maybe someone else can help you.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well ive fished powerton discharge. i use teardrop sinkers mostly no rolls there. and alot too. 5-6 oz at times. its swift as heck at the first 1/2. remember when retrieveing line hold the tip of the rod high and retrieve fast. this will keep it off the bottom.

i havent used 3 way rigs like talked about by shane but if your loosing alot. the 3 way swivels and much lighter line on the sinker can save hooks. but youll be loosing lead. invest in a mold and make your own sinkers. i do and could loose 3 dozen right now and not notice.:smile2: