Powerton Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by peoriawormonafly, Nov 27, 2008.

1. peoriawormonafly

peoriawormonafly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in Peoria and have put my boat away for the winter. Does anyone ever fish Powerton from shore that would like to fish sometime? I have only fished for smallmouth there, but I love to drift troll when the bite is slow. So Im going to pursue the infamous blue cat that can be found there.

Im thinking bottom bouncers under a balloon float with fillets of panfish as bait (or whatever I can catch with my cast net)

Does anyone have any suggestions for shore fishing on this lake?

2. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    welcome to the BOC good to have u on here,im sure someone will be able to help you out with your question.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joey Welcome to the BOC, from the southern part of the state. I have not fished Powerton. I would suggest you fish the warm water discharge in the winter. Slow everything down.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Joey, Welcome to the BOC,this site is full of good info and great people. I look forward to reading some of your fishing stories

5. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Have they rebuilt the boat launch yet? That's the only thing discouraging me from going there.

6. peoriawormonafly

State:
    Illinois
    Boat Launch is fine, but they took out the dock, so its almost imposible to launch the boat myself. Im afraid that a wave might put the boat on the rocks, and then it would be stuck for good.

My predator weighs about 1800 pounds, and I would never be able to get it out of the rocks....Killer place to fish though since its only 10 minutes away. Ive had good lock casting the outcropping near the Water inlet.

Ive seena few huge blue cats come out of that place...but dont go swimming, the water is nasty!

7. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Welcome to the boc!!! I was reading an article about the very healthy blue population in that lake a coupla months back in Illinois Game and Fish. I thought at that time it would be a worthwile destination. I haven't made it yet, but would like to sometime. Just a coupla hours north of me. I'll give ya a holler if I make it up that way soon.

8. peoriawormonafly

State:
    Illinois
    Im down to go anytime. We can bank fish....Ive got a cast net and we can catch some bluegiills in the morning, fillet them up, and then fish in the channel at the water outlet with some balloons as bobbers, then if we loose them no sweat. Or, Id be willing to get the predator out in MARCHISH, its alot more fun to fish Powerton from a boat. There's no swimming, so no skiers or jetskiers. Its a pretty big lake though...lots of water to cover....just let me know. My wife just had a baby, so Im not allowed to go fishing more than an hour or so away for a while...but I dont mind.....

Tight lines fellas.....

9. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    Sorry been away for a while Hunting season ya know

but it looks like i should have plenty of time to fish this winter with caterpillar lay people off

if anyone wants to hit powerton hit me up