Powerton Asian Carp Infestation

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Keny_Moye, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    Was just curious if anyone here has noticed all of the bighead and silver carp that are now leaked into Powerton. Was throwing a strata jigging spoon the other day trying to get a blue cat to grab it but just ended up snagging a twenty two pound bighead carp.

Later that day we just sat all day long catching the carp and probably had over two hundred pounds of them.

I do not think it will be long before the lake will be ruined

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    read my pm, i dont think it will get that bad

3. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Welcome to the BOC Keny. Small world, I'm in Sunnyland. Get some more post in, I think ya heed 10 to get PM's. been about a month since I went to Powerton. Wanting to try again soon.

4. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    well it is a small world i am in sunnyland also and i can receive pms. slikk sent me one. I have been to powerton four days in a row last week and we caught one nice blue cat around twelve pounds but nothing else bigger than that. a couple guys had crossed the fenced area at the discharge and they were nailing the blues left and right. most in the ten pound range. havent realy fishid the dicharge much do to the lack of shad but i have been sitting along the end point of the discharge catching alot of nice two three pound channels but nothing much seems to be happening for me.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    kenny i thimk theres 30s and fortys in there ill be there sateday, use cut bloddy bluegill mheads and wing them , at the intake, i bet i missed 5 big blues, but i got a ten and a fifteen, im hoping for a 40, or 50,but, im hoping to be there saterday wen the gates open,or i might hit altone, its a mile hike down the trail to get to the bluecats , i fish that last wing dyk by the untake, about 50 yards north, clikers on with kael hooks big blood dripping bluegill heads

6. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Last time I was there, I noticed there were about 10 guys crossed the fence and stood on the concrete discharge and had some good luck. It is a LONG dam walk too. I thought about trying the intake side at the oposite end of the lake. I did have several people ask me if the carp were biting but I hadn't seen anyone with them. I didn't have any gils to try so just got small channels.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    we dont want no carp in there, hopfuly the dnr nets em out,thats the only blue cat place in northern illinois and id pay tax just to have them pulled out, wouldent you?, they should of ben prepared for this invasion, i know overpoulation in nature will caues , disease, but how long will it take ,

8. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey all,

I came down to Powerton about a month ago and caught the 28 pounder in my profile picture after being there for about an hour in the morning. I also got an 18 pounder the following day. Both from the discharge.

Big cuts of fish is the ticket! Hell, I would cut a fist-sized chunk out of one of those carp I caught one. Nothing like a big bloody fish side to attract the blues

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    any 40 50 pounders coming out of there

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    You guys ever think about riggin' up a bike instead of walkin'? That's what I did before I had a boat at Baldwin lake, it worked out real good!

11. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    I have a bike that i use out there. I Rigged an old carseat for the back of the bike to hold a bucket and put a milk crate on the front of the bike to hold more equipment. Also used to have an old pull behind trailer type deal that you would put little kids in, had the whole thing stripped down with rod holders on the back but that became more of a pain than it was help

12. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I did see some pretty good rigs out there. Well, as they came screaming by me, I said to myself, that's cool. I have a 4 wheel yard cart that I pull. Yea, the bike would be cool but the exercise is good for me LOL. But there's still a chance I won't forget about possibly ting the cart to a bike.
    Hey Chicago, I was right in front of that electric tower at the discharge area..LOL

13. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah I was by myself that day so I had to use the self-timer on my camera. I just jumped in front of the tower and held that blue cat up as fast as I could. lol. I only had 10 seconds!!!

I'm trying to make time to come down for a day sometime in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can talk my brother into going so I don't have to walk a mile to the fishing spot (he's got a boat).

I would like to pull a flattie out of the water there. Only wish they let people in to fish at night.

14. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    no kidding that would be great to fish at night there. i have taken my boat out there alot but never have been able to catch anything. the only thing ivef caught out of my boat were a mess of white bass

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think i can get some bi blues out of there, not a flathead,unless its winter by thehotdich, i went one time and got a ten and a 15, but i wanna 40 or 50

16. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well looks like I have the day off Friday, so I may head down that way to see what I can pull out of the water. I wouldn't mind getting a 40-50lb blue either Slikk!!!

If anyone is out there on Friday morning, I'll be near the discharge area.

17. Keny_Moye

Keny_Moye New Member

State:
    Washington, IL
    hmm i may have to take a day out htere friday if its rainy. if its sunny out il prolly stilll be there though

18. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    any one ever try skipjack at powerton?