Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
do you get wind knots alot? i get wind knots from time to time, i am only using 40lb power pro tho could explain the wind knots i get.
does it sound rough on the eye tip? like a sawing action
the sound mine makes it pretty rough when reeling in , i have replaced the eye tip with a stainless one and there is still a lil unhealty noise and my line gets scuffed up often, could be the rocks on the bottom doing the freying or scuffing. how do ya like it wile fishing rocky areas?

i hate it for this it seems to snag way more then good ol mono, to solve this issue i use a 3-5 foot leader of 50lb andy's mono seems to stop the snags.

do you cut your hands more with the braided lines? :( i do so i add all this up and have mixed feelings, and if my reels will hold plenty of big mono, then i use mono i really hate to spend that much money on line and only get 150 yards of the braid ever had one peel the braid off down to your backing only to snap the backing yet ....... can you say ****************** gl and to each there own power pro or braid has is moments in the lite just not to many in my book. gj and when ya tie knots put a few extra twists in the knot that stuff is some slippery stuff and knot failure IS NOT AN OPTION

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had mine to backlash or knot up at all. The only place i have fished with rocks has been the santee cooper lakes and did not have any problem with this line there either. I've had my hooks snagged in logs alot and have always been able to pull them free every time and never had it to break. The only time i've hung anything and it broke was about a month ago and that was about a 4 or 5ft gator.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To each his own as far as braid goes but I,ve used power pro for the last 5 years and have never had the line fail me. Whenever you fish braid around rock you have to check it often. But you should with mono too. As far as getting snagged more well I don't see how that makes any sense seeing as how it is either your hook or your sinker that gets hung. I have tried a lot of brands of braid and power pro and suffix are the 2 best ones I have ever used.

·
Registered
718 Posts
not sayin its bad at all just as with any thing i guess it has its ups and downs. don't get me wrong it has its days in the light and i have all 3 of my bait runners spooled with 40lb braid LOL shhhhhh. it does make me cry every time i have to cut out or retie and damaged parts seems how the price is so outa sight .... and most of my problems revolve around salt water fishing pylons with crustations on it RED FISH LOVE TO RUN TO IT lol and braided lines do not resopnd well at all to this . another example when i tie my rigs on to the braid i wrap it around my lighter (a bic smoth lighter and pull the knot tigh) then notice where i had the line wraped around the lighter is NOW FREYED ... a few of the bad things that happen .... also i have found ugly braid 125 yrds for 5 bucks at wally world so i bought some and yes you can tell its 5 bucks kinda bulky or rough feeling but the price is great . i will try to keep an open mind and i do live the fact that 40-50lb braid is the size of 10-12lb line thus letting my ultra lite become a cat fishing reel also LOL . so true guy to each there own and ty for the view from the out side in

·
Registered
953 Posts
I like power pro as well. Haven't had any horror stories and it is easier for me to cast on a baitcaster. I'm able to feel it better with my thumb. Any line that looks frayed, gets trimmed off and re-tied. Still like using mono for the leaders though. As for knots, I've had good success with a polamar knot with braided line, wetted down just before pulling it tight. To each his own.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I like power pro as well. Haven't had any horror stories and it is easier for me to cast on a baitcaster. I'm able to feel it better with my thumb. Any line that looks frayed, gets trimmed off and re-tied. Still like using mono for the leaders though. As for knots, I've had good success with a polamar knot with braided line, wetted down just before pulling it tight. To each his own.
This was posted yesterday on page 1. Today, is on page 2 way after initial post listing. Whats up with that? :dont-know:

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
not sayin its bad at all just as with any thing i guess it has its ups and downs. don't get me wrong it has its days in the light and i have all 3 of my bait runners spooled with 40lb braid LOL shhhhhh. it does make me cry every time i have to cut out or retie and damaged parts seems how the price is so outa sight .... and most of my problems revolve around salt water fishing pylons with crustations on it RED FISH LOVE TO RUN TO IT lol and braided lines do not resopnd well at all to this . another example when i tie my rigs on to the braid i wrap it around my lighter (a bic smoth lighter and pull the knot tigh) then notice where i had the line wraped around the lighter is NOW FREYED ... a few of the bad things that happen .... also i have found ugly braid 125 yrds for 5 bucks at wally world so i bought some and yes you can tell its 5 bucks kinda bulky or rough feeling but the price is great . i will try to keep an open mind and i do live the fact that 40-50lb braid is the size of 10-12lb line thus letting my ultra lite become a cat fishing reel also LOL . so true guy to each there own and ty for the view from the out side in

yeah for salt water I wouldnt use anything under 80LB PP. Hell I dont use any braid under 65LB in the river. Braid is better bought buy the diameter not LB ratio. As anything under 65LB breaks and frays too easily. I have never lost a rig on 80-100LB PP unless it was on a barge. I use 20-50LB PP for bass, bull heads and eater Channels

·
Registered
718 Posts
raymon maybe thhats my problem i was only using 30lb power pro on my last salt water trip. with small cheap reels i try to keep the line rating close to what the max line cap. is ...
this was also befor i bot my new okuma avenger 50 and 65 reels both came with spare black coated spools perhaps for salt water use and will the avenger 65 do well with 80 lb power pro for the october red fish run asuming they don't oil spill me bro!!! cry .
also ramon do you still use a mono leader @ the end of the power pro ? ty and gl to you guys

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like power pro as well. I had 20 lb pp on but i went to nc to fish and had a fish break me off. so i went to walmart to look for some 40 and they only had 20 and 65. so i bought the 65, hahhaha. i stripped off the 20 and the backing to fit all 150 yards of the 65 pp on and wouldn't you know it after using it 5 times the pp is slipping on my spinning spool. I was was warned a while back that it would slip without backing but I guess i'm a glutton for punishment and have to find things out the hard way. lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
do you get wind knots alot? i get wind knots from time to time, i am only using 40lb power pro tho could explain the wind knots i get.
does it sound rough on the eye tip? like a sawing action
the sound mine makes it pretty rough when reeling in , i have replaced the eye tip with a stainless one and there is still a lil unhealty noise and my line gets scuffed up often, could be the rocks on the bottom doing the freying or scuffing. how do ya like it wile fishing rocky areas?

i hate it for this it seems to snag way more then good ol mono, to solve this issue i use a 3-5 foot leader of 50lb andy's mono seems to stop the snags.

do you cut your hands more with the braided lines? :( i do so i add all this up and have mixed feelings, and if my reels will hold plenty of big mono, then i use mono i really hate to spend that much money on line and only get 150 yards of the braid ever had one peel the braid off down to your backing only to snap the backing yet ....... can you say ****************** gl and to each there own power pro or braid has is moments in the lite just not to many in my book. gj and when ya tie knots put a few extra twists in the knot that stuff is some slippery stuff and knot failure IS NOT AN OPTION
gotta keep your trigger finger off the braid when your setting the hook. learned that 1 the hard way. medic? medic? we got a gusher..... lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use 50 to 65 PP on my spinning reels as well. What test are most of you using as backing and how many yards?
well i was using 20 pound pp but i find it gets scraped up pretty easy so when I switched to 65 i took all the backing off and now the pp slips on my spool :( I have to take it all off put some backing on then put the pp back on. I'm going to use 10 pound backing and not much of it because in my penn slammer 460L will barely hold 150 yards of 65 pp. also try sinker slides with your weights that will save your pp from getting all scraped up by your weights.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Using PP for catfishing works great for me. I usually use 65# on my spinning reels with 40# mono leader. As long as I don't reel in much slack line with out tension, I have no problems... or at least I haven't in the last few years.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I recently started getting serious about big blue cat fishing from the bank on the big rivers here in St. Louis. So I got 2 okuma epixors and 2 10' glowstiks. I used some junk 50# stealth spider wire on a junk cat maxx reel when I first started. I don't like the spider wire because it seems like it stresses easley and frays. So I put 80# power pro on one and 80# suffix on the other. I have caught 20lb+ blues on both and broke a 8/0 gamakatsu octopus with the suffix reeling in a snagged branch. The Suffix is a little thicker but cast and retreves much smoother. But I think both are very good products that will not fail if the conditions right.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I use some black electricians tape on my spool to give the braid something to bite into. I tried to tie it on real tight at first, but the whole amount I had on the spool just sat there when I tried to reel in the line. I decided not to use a mono backing because I didn't want another knot that could break or cause some problem.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.