PowerPro fishing line is it any good?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by JMarrs328, May 15, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I was thinking about trying some of the powerpro line. You can get 60# line that has the diameter of 12#. Is this stuff any good?

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

What type/weight of rod and brand/size of reel?

My overall favorite is 65# PP, but I also use 50# and 100# on my catting gear.

Do a search for PowerPro and you should find enough info on this site to make your eyes bleed :eek:oooh:

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    PowerPro is some great line. I would highly recommend it if your are looking to try some braid. It is super strong and lasts forever. I wouldnt use anything but PowerPro. Good luck with it if you try it Im sure you will like it!

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Power pro is great. I use 50lb on both reels no problems.
    thanks
    Larry

5. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Power-Pro is awesome! Its all I use.

6. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its really hard to beat Power Pro Brother, your gonna like that for sure!:smile2:

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like the 80 pound much better. Just remember.. do not use your bare hands to pull off of a snag as it will cut you is all.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 100lb and I cannot break it period. I've cut my hands, dug it into the reel, towed my boat and anchor over the snag.... you get the picture.

9. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

LOL, Been there done that!

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I am not using braided lines this year(yet) but if I do...it will be Power Pro! As far as I am concerned its the best for the price and just maybe..the best out there.:big_smile:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I used power pro for a while and decided to go back to plain monofilament for several reasons:

* Braid is ridiculously expensive - on the order of $13 for a 250 yd spool of PowerPro. And 250 yards probably isn't enough to fill your big reels completely - so either you spend more money to buy a big spool of braid or you compromise casting performance by using a half-filled reel.
    * Braid is very limp. It tangles with itself easily and you'll *never* get it untangled - just cut out the tangle and start over. It's also very difficult to tie a
    * You can't cut braid properly with side cutters, toenail clippers, a regular pocket knife or your teeth. You need good quality scissors like Fiskars - fortunately, the "kid sized" Fiskars round-point scissors work well and are small enough to keep in your pocket or tackle box.
    * Braid digs into your reel spool if you get snagged on something and you'll spend a long time un-digging it before you can cast again. Some will say to be more careful and not allow it to dig in, but if you're drifting in a good wind, it'll snag and dig before you blink.
    * It's ridiculously strong and impossible to break. You'll slice your hands wide open if you try to wrap it around your hands and yank it free. Everybody who uses braid has to us a much lighter weight leader for this very reason. And if you're going to put a 30 lb mono leader on 100 lb braid, what's the advantage of using 100 lb braid?
    * Do you *really* need to use 50 or 75 or 100 lb test braid? Really? Are you sure? What kind of monsters are you catching that require that much line strength? An awful lot of 60lb+ fish have been landed on 20 lb mono. Seems to me the braid is overkill in the worst way.

The only real advantage of braid that I know of is that it doesn't stretch like mono does. If that's something you need (and I'll bet few of you really know whether you do or not), then braid may be right for you.

12. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    To each his own....lol

It cost me 13 dollars to fill my abu garcia 7000 with 65lb power pro. I backed it with 25lb big game mono to prevent slippage. If i spend 100+ dollars on my rig, im gonna spend an extra 13 for some nice line.

I like the fact that if I dont use my rig for 2-3 weeks its not going to look like a slinky. Knots arent a problem for me.

I cut my power pro all the time with my pocket knife, and if i dont have that a fillet knife or a lighter will work.

Powerpro is much better about this than spiderwire. If you are snagged, wrap the line around the reel a few times to keep the pressure on the outside of the reel isntead of on all the line on the spool.

Use gloves or a stick or a mag lite and wrap it around one of those. It will break eventually, right at the knot. I use 65lb power pro and use a 50lb mono leader around 18-36".

Been there, done that, caught a few, lost a bunch. When you're dealing with large blues and large flatheads that will take you right into boulders and sunken trees, id rather be fighting the fish than cussing myself for not having big enough line and leaving a trophy fish with a hook stuck in his mouth.

I guess if nobody needed it then they wouldnt make it. Powerpro seems to sell alot even at premium prices. I use both mono and power pro, but I like power pro because it casts better, its limp, its strong, and i can put more on my spool.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I hooked up with a hard fightin 36lb river flathead last night in some heavy current. My bait was 6 feet from a giant tangle of wood. If I'd been using 20 or 30lb mono that fish would have broke me off before the fight even got started. If he had been one of the 80 pounders I'm gearing for I would have had no shot at all of even turning his head. Any problems you experience with power-pro are easily overcome with a little attention to detail and proper cutting tools.

14. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the input!!! I guess I'll go buy some!!!! Thanks again!!:lol:

15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I haven't had a lot of experience with it other than the 80 that I had on my snagging setup. It didn't hold up real well in that scenario though, Too many rocks.
    I think it would be a good line for catfishing though.

Eric

16. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

If you only learn one thing about PowerPro, it should be that it will cut you like a knife.

Before we made broomhandle rod to wrap the line around to break snags, I used to use anything around handy. One time I wrapped some 65# around a half full water bottle with the cap on to retain air, and after a great pull I cut the bottle in half literally.

After that we made a tool specifically to not only do the job, but to do it safely.

As best I can recall from the old original BOC board in the early days (early days for PowerPro too) we had a member that had actually cut off the tip of his finger. He bragged (or warned) about it in his signature block. And boy was he not kidding...it is nothing to play with.

17. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use power pro for cats and spoonbill. When snaging I use 80 or 100 pound and when It gets hung I have to hook it to the boat and goose it to break it.Great stuff.

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A couple of things to keep in mind when deciding whether to use Power Pro:
    1) There is no stretch to the line, so setting the hook is much quicker and easier. If you haul on it like you do with mono you can break the line (or reel or rod) before the drag has a chance to let go.
    2) No memory from the reel. you won't get those annoying twists in your line.
    3) Power Pro is much more abrasion resistant than mono. A big plus when you fish around rocks like I do.
    4) You need to set your drag to the weakest link in your tackle, which isn't your line anymore. I use 65# test Power Pro and my drag is set at about 30# (the only reason I use line that powerful is that it is the same size as 16# test mono, which allows me more line capacity as well).

To me, the first three points are the main reasons I use this line. If I was using 30# mono, I would have to set my drag at about 15# due to the chance for line abrasion, loose casting range due to large line, and have to deal with line memory (a big factor since there are times I can't fish for a month or more).

19. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Power Pro is some great stuff. I love it the only thing negative I can say about it is gon't use bare hands to tr to pull it off a snag it will cut you like a razorblade. It last forever and has no memory. I fish in heavy cover and used to lose a lot of fish due to mono breaking. I don't lose any fish due to line breakage now. Well worth the money.

20. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I'm not one to tell you about your own personal experiences, but I have used both powerpro and mono, and I can safely say that mono is much more abrasion resistant. The braid, if it gets rubbed against a rock and it takes off the outter coating, it doesnt take too much more to break off. Not only that, but since it is incredibly hard to break off from an object, you (or I, anyways) always end up having it cut or broken right at the tip of the rod or the reel. Wastes a lot of line. And the world record flathead was caught on 12 pound test monofilament by some guy fishing for crappie. I dont think that either way you go it makes too much difference. You catch what you catch.