Powering a Lund!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catmankev, Jan 26, 2007.

1. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I'm looking at a 2007 Lund 1775, it is 17' 3" long w/85" beam. It weighs 1010 lbs. I would like to know if a 50 hp 2 stroke will get it up on plane.

2. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have the catalog and it says the boat max hp is a 90 or a 75 hp depending on tiller or remote steering. should get up on plane with a 50 no problem.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have the catalog, too, and that boat has a weight capacity of 1450#.

If you anticipate using all of that capacity, then, no, that's not enough motor.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have the 1800 pro v with a 175hp but when i looked at the 1775 in 2002 the max hp was 150hp with a steering wheel. ithink you will be unhappy with a 50 hp on that 1775 pro v. that motor will be straining in all conditions. lund boats are not light weight boats. if you load it down with fishing gear and fill up the livewells and throw in a bait tank i believe you may have to hit the paddle a lick or two to get it on plain.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I agree with Michael, the 50 won't be enough. You can probably prop the engine to plane the boat, but you won't get anywhere very fast. My fiberglass boat weighs about the same empty, and with my 90hp yamaha, I wouild call it adequate. Mine is rated for 90-125hp. The only reason I chose the 90 over an optional 115 was to save weight. I would recommend going with at least the minimum recommended by Lund, as Willy said, and you will be happier. Good luck with your choice. Lund is an excellent boat.

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Don't go less than 80% of rated power. I did on my previous boat and I cussed myself up until the moment I traded boats. Another lesson learned - underpowered boats are hard to get rid of. I've never met anyone who said "damn, I wish I had got a smaller motor"

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Good advice!

Where did you find the 80% guideline, Master Chief?

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Your Lund dealer can give you exact peformance numbers for many boat/motor combinations. Check with your dealer.

9. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I got the 80% thumb rule from several guys on iboats.com as well as my Dad.

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Thanks for your comments. I took my Lund out today, the 50 hp Mercury put it right up on plane. Handles great. Got on plane in less than 20 seconds. Top speed was 31-32 mph. Very pleased with the 50.:big_smile_2: :0a22:

11. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    I have a 17 foot 3 inch Tracker "deep vee" with a 93 inch beam. The package came with a 60 horse two-stroke and a power up option to 90 horse. Did not think I needed a 90 horse but price was right and we purchased it with the 90. Really happy with the boat and it's performance. Recommend the 90 horse. Am not sure we would have been as happy with the 60. Good Luck!