Powerhead for Evinrude 50 help?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by mandingo, Aug 13, 2006.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    I recently acqured a 1989 Evinrude 50hp that needs a new power head.a friend of mine gave it to me for free and i figured it could be a winter project.i know of a couple good outboard mechanics who work out of their garages so i was gonna go that route since i found out a local boat repair shop wanted 3000 bucks to rebuild it!!has anyone else ever had this prob or know someone who has done and what was the total damage on their wallet?does anyone know a ballpark estimate for a new or rebuilt power head for this motor?im tryin to figure out what the flip i have gotten myself into:confused2: thank you-caleb

2. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    $3000.00!!!

My goodness! You could rebuild a V8 for that!

Are Outboards more difficult to rebuild than a V8?

I've never had one apart, but for $3000.00, I bet I would try. - (I have rebuilt V8's, motor cycle, lawn mowers, etc...)

I am anxious to hear if that's too much money.

craigr

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's a place in Fl that sells remanufactured power heads, that we deal with.

Recently we priced a V-6, 200hp Johnson. It was just slightly higher than 4000.00.

Now we'd have to add the change over time, carb rebuilds, possibly new fuel pump, definately would want to install a new water pump.

Parts and labor, add another 1000.00, give or take a couple of hundred.

Your better off going with a remanufactured powerhead, than waiting for someone to do it. Quicker turn around, better warrantee, and it doesn't tie anyoner up doing the rebuild and dealing with the machine shop.

4. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Bob,so you are telling me that i am looking at a 5000 dollar bill to have this thing rebuilt the right way?i know the water pump was working great the day the motor blew.i am in no big hurry to get this motor up and running again,i have a 40hp on my boat now that will get me by for the time being.do you know a ballpark figure of how much a remanufactured powerhead for a 1989 50hp johnson would be?the model# is TJ50TLES

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Caleb some times tomorrow I will post a link to some people here next to my home town that might just be able to help you out with out breaking your arm. A good family business and build some good outboard motors to.

6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    that would be great willard.thank you.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Contact these people and see what they can do for you. I have done business with them and found them to be honorable.

http://www.mar-fab.com/

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    As a winter project, I think it'd be worth your time to buy the service manual and have a go at fixing it yourself. Provided you're at least somewhat mechanically inclined and have or can get the right tools. Paying someone to do the work for you is mostly going to be labor cost - the parts won't be all that bad; if you're capable, do the labor yourself.

Other than the pistons and cylinders probably being trashed, I can't imagine too many other things that could be wrong with the motor. Of course, if it's got metal shavings all over the inside, you're looking at a lot more work.

Do you know any of the history of the motor? How did it die? If it was a bad water pump and overheating, it really shouldn't be that hard to fix.

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    pm Ramrod, he has a 55 horse with a busted up lower unit. The motor runs really good. Maybe you can work out a deal with him and put your lower unit on it. You could probably ship this one by truck from here cheaper then rebuilding yours. Just a thought that might help you out.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I forgot to mention that a few years ago I had to replace a powerhead on 115 horse Johnson and that cost me almost $4000.00 for a new one.

11. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    mr.T,i am not the most mechanically inclined fisherman out there and i really dont have the place nor the tools for a project like this.i dont know much about the motor other than that it was running fine one minute,water was pumping out good and the next minute it blew.the guy who i got it from took it to the shop and they said the bottom piston was not moving so they talked him into buying a brand new 4 stroke.

12. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    thank you willard i will contact them this evening.(im at work right now or i would)

13. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    John,now thats what kinda deal im talkin about.i will give him a pm to see if they are compatible.it would be nice to find one that someone is pieceing out.thank you

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    shoot... for 5k your close in price of just buying a new one... I think I would go the new route......

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That place I gave you will swap out power heads with you and send you a total rebuilt one and it won't be no 5000 grand either. If you can get the 55 and it is still in good shape you ought to go that way. I would rebuild the carbs and new water pump any way I went with it.

16. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    well i finally got in contact with a guy ive met before that is a boat mechanic and works at a marine dealership and repair shop here in topeka but he works out of his garage also and he said he will get it up and running for 1500.helluva lot better than 3000!!!:smile2: what do you guys think,good deal or not?

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just for grins, and to have something to do, why not go to e-bay and do a search for Outboard Motors. You will find a bunch. I've been looking for about a year and can't say I have seen one sell for over $2,000. Most are around $800.00 to $1200.00. Sounds like some good buys to me...you could sell yours for parts and buy another.

18. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i just had a 40 horse yamaha rebuilt it cost 1,590 i think the evinrude was 1,295. you take off the motor ship it to them (shipping is included) they replace everything ship it back with new impeller for water pump, carb rebuild kits and a repair manual thats the best deal i could find for a total rebuild if your still looking go to tenkillermarine.com

19. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You can get into a reman for around 1800 with $300-500 in labor. best advice i can give u is to stay far away from powerhead rebuilders in florida. Made that mistake once. lasted 1 hour on the water.