Powerbelt bullets

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Mi11er, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I was wanting to switch from the sabot bullet to a powerbelt type bullet. I was wondering, has anyone shot powerbelts and how accurate they are. I will be after white tail deer so which type should I use the areo tipped, or the hollow points

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hey Guy,
    I use the areo tips and they are very accurate!:smile2:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Also my favorite. Accurate and never lost a deer with them.

4. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i use powerbelt and have had no problem with them they have a wide range or sabots you can use to

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how they will work for you kind of depends on the kind of area you hunt... i have always hunted areas with alot of fields and open wood lots that i can get a 150 to 200 yard shot with my muzzle loader and since indiana doesnt have a highpower rifle season i use my muzzle loader during shotgun season to extend my kill zone.. if you are going to be making 100yard or longer shots you might like the sabots i really like the cabelas xtended range balistic tip sabots myself.. they have better long range balistics than the bulky ,heavy powerbelts.. now if you hunt heavy woods or areas that just don't offer many long shots the knockdown power of the powerbelts are hard to beat! they really have some energy behind them but just dont shoot as flat as the smaller lighter .44 0r .45 sabots.... either way you got to love black powder hunting!! :wink:

6. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like them. They ar extremely accurate out to a 150 yards . Later Andy

7. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Make sure you only shoot them out of a fouled or dirty barrel. I cleaned my muzzle loader between shot and loaded a powerbelt bullet in it and pointed it at the ground to put the primer in the gun and fired the rifle only to have it fly about 30 yrds from the gun that was it for me, I gave them away shorty after. Alot of people love them just make sure you load in a dirty barrel.

8. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    In other words the bullet slid down the barrel before i fired the rifle. You can put one of those in a barrel with no powder and pop a cap and it will shoot out of your barrel if it is clean.

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    what caliber gun do you shoot?

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    .50 cal. with 150 grains of powder

11. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I tried them out only at the range last year but never took them into the woods. I couldn't get consistent groups despite trying different powder loads. I admit, they are easy to load but my gun just doesn't like them. I'm shooting a CVA Optima that likes the Barnes sabots with 100 grains of Triple-7 powder much better. Different muzzleloaders like different ammo and loads. If your gun is shooting good groups with the PowerBelts then go with them. Good luck. This is the last week for early muzzleloader in Virginia and I'm hoping to get out Thursday and Friday evenings. Hopefully I can add a post later this week.

Mike

12. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    they are great! Period. Don't use 223grns its to light for whitetail deer go for the 295. Be careful with loading them if your ramrod is not designed for these type bullets they will mar the tips and shots will be every where. my omega loves them but unless I use a different tip on my ramrod my shots will be everywhere.

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like the groups I get out of the hollow point power belt bullets At a 100 yds. Very accurate like 1 1/2 " at that distance. But like has been said some front loaders can be picky about what they like. Right powder right caps right bullet sweet load. Any one of these components changed can blow accuracy out the window. My advise would get you some of the style power belt you want to shoot and spend a little time on the range. I think the newer front loader are less critical than the old side lock or flint locks were. At least this is the way i have experienced them. Hope this helps.

14. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    This makes no sense.

15. doug300wsm

doug300wsm New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I shoot the Hornady 250 grain SST bullets held by a sabot. These have tips on the base of the sabot that allows you to place 2 or 3 Pyrodex or Triple 7 tablets on and load the whole deal at once. They have been very accurate and very deadly for me. I have had a lot of deer drop in their tracks. Hornady also makes this same bullet in a rifle version as well that has been known for its accuracy. I don't like the powerbelts because they are very loose in some chambers or barrels.

16. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I give em a 10 outa 10.
    I shoot the 295 gr hp in 50cal. 1" groups at 100yds. They load way easier than sabots. I personally have had no problems with keeping them seated on the powder. And my barrels clean. Good luck.

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think sabots are junk. I switched to powerbelts a few years ago because those sabots would not fly righ and far from anything close to a consistant patteren. I now shoot the powerbelts in the areo tip 245 grain and love them. I realy cant see me even wanting to try anyother bullet now.

18. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i've been using them for several years. started with the hollow points, but didn't like them because most of the time they did not go all the way through the deer. then i used the copper areotip they are better. last year i started using 290 gr platnum areotips and love them. i killed a doe on tues and a nine pointer today with them.
    chip

19. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    I had the same problem out of my cva optima with the hollow points. I also found when i dug them out of the deer they did not expand worth a darn. seemed to be to hard for my likings. i wasn't getting any blood trail either. I have also switched to the barnes and really like them.