Powerbait

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by bnt55, Mar 7, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well I finally broke down and bought 2 cans of powerbait eggs. I am going to take my 7 yr old son fishing when they toss out the captive trout, hopefully we can catch a few for dinner! I have always tried regular lures and flies for trout this should be different.:eek:oooh:

Bill

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    they do work but just like any bait if the fish want them then your set if not your be thinking this is the worst money i spent i do have some luck with them

3. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Bill, Hang on to your fishing rod, or loosen the drag, or open the bail. Just make sure you are close to the poles, because where I fish I have caught 10 channel in a row on POWER BAIT, and 10 Channels in a row on POWER EGGS. I have yet to catch a BASS with that stuff, but I have heard from people who have. THAT STUFF WORKS.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have caught trout on power bait and power bait eggs, but I would suggest a nitecrawler blown up to keep it off the bottom. I myself prefer real bait, even a small minnow, but power bait will work if there is nothin else for em to eat. Just depends on what they want to eat. Sometimes they don't want it, sometimes they do.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    the trout power bait works very well but the power bait for catfish sucks.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I tip my crappie jigs with the chartreuse crappie nibbles, and the crappie LOVE them! Never tried any of the other Power Baits.

Bill in SC

7. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Thread a power egg up over the eye of your hook and then hook a worm on. The egg will float the worm up off the bottom. I usually do pretty well with this rig, I sometimes end up catching more channels than trout though.

8. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I have caught a lot of trout on power bait. Never tried it for anything else though.:wink: Maybe I'll give it a try for catfish sometime.:smile2:

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    That's exactly how I feel, with the exception of the crappie nibbles, I've caught lots of Bluegills & cats on 'em

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i agree, i catch alot of trout on power bait, but not even a bite for cats. another similiar trout bait i use is the YUM trout bait, it works as well if not begtter than power bait.
    chip

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never tried the crappie nibbles,maybe ill give them a shot.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey Trout power bait floats you don.t need any thing to keep it of bottom i put a power bait up near the eye then thread the hook with yellow sweat corn then tip the hook with a power ball the worms work well too

13. madcatter77

madcatter77 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i love power bait for trout, i`ve been using it for years and have tried all of the colors out there. If your fishing clear waters use a bright color and dark colors for muddy water. also, i prefer the paste over the eggs or nibbles or any other variations of the stuff. For stocked trout there is nothing better. Well,,, that can be purchased anyway :wink:

14. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have had good luck with the paste type bait. My favorites are yellow corn, rainbow, and white. I fish it off the bottom with an 15" to 18" leader and a 1/4 oz egg sinker. I also add it to a worm with a bait keeper hook that I've injected with air. I have some of the trout nibbles but have not had as much success with them as with the paste. good luck.

15. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i've been reading this for a while now and i'm gonna say my 2 cents. i live in central PA the heart of trout country for PA in my opinion. now power bait can be a great lure for stocked fish as these fish are conditioned to feed as soon as they hear something hit the water. think about it all their life every time the auto feeder threw pellets of food in the water it looks like a school of piranahs. as for this is good or that won't work it's neither here nor there. i've seen them get caught on cigarette butts. p.s. keep the size down to around a salmon egg, bigger isn't always better.

as for eating them, well there's nothing wrong with that. but beware the meat is usually mushy with no texture. if i'm gonna eat a trout it's gonna be a native brookie, or a holdover thats been living in a stream for a couple of years.
    any way thats my 2 cents. good luck fishing hope your boy pulls in a big one.

16. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I can tell you that the salmon egg, and chartruse sparkle works great. I used to fish alot of the paylakes in SoCal for trout all the time, also if you are adventurous, you can float nightcrawlers 12 inches off the bottom, or use combos like marshmallow/mealworm or marshmallow/nightcrawler I've caught them on all of these baits.:eek:oooh: Good luck and good fishin'

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    They are pretty simple to catch on worms also . Good luck to you and the boy .