power wheelchair lift

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by badkarma, Dec 21, 2007.

1. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I was starting to have problems handling the ramps I use to load my power chair so I had this idea.I bought some 2in,11/2in and 11/4in pipe in 3ft lenghts.I used the 11/2 pipe for the upright and braced it with 1in square tubing then welded the 11/4 pipe on to the 2in to make the boom.I mounted a pully on the end of the 11/4 pipe and also mounted the winch in the corner.This a small crane that lifts my chair so I can swing it into the van.

Attached Files:

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jim. How did you stabilize the top of the post at the winch? Is the frame thick enough there to get good hold?

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Looks as good or better than the commercial system I have seen and I am sure a heck of alot easier on the pocket! Great job ya done there!:big_smile:
    Randy

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    John the pipe is heavy gas pipe and you can't see it very good in the picture but there is a triangle shaped brace in the corner where the boom meets the upright post + the winch is mounted to a sheet of 1/4 plate steel welded to the post and boom.The post is made from 2in pipe over 1 1/2 pipe so the crane will swivel out + I cut the top and botton from some 2L coke bottles the split them to make bushings between them.

Randy I have seen them priced up to almost $3,000.I bought the winch used for $50 and I have maybe $60 in the metal,new cable,bolts and pins.

It works great,I can have the chair on the ground in the time it would take to get one ramp out of the van.

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Jim looks like you done a good job on your lift.

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    im just gettin into this sortu thing myself . just recently got a BIG electric wheel chair and got one u those carriers with a ramp that goes into reese hitch. my boys hooked it up for me and thyr saying its gunnu be a trick but i can still hobble around enough to do it just cant walk any distance :angry: plan on hitting all the handicap places on th map:smile2: the hardest thing will be rollin in and out u my boat, but were gunnu do it :big_smile: :cool2:

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i dont mean ill be rollin th wheel chair into th boat:smile2: im mean just me rollin off th dock into the boat. thats about how ill have to do it :big_smile: :cool2:

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    where there is a will, there is a way. I am not far from being in a chair myself. Figure it out guys, and pass it on. Merry Christmas. Andy