Power trim release info

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bill in SC, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It was posted in another thread somewhere, that someone had their motor (with power trim) rigged so that it would kick up if you hit a stump, or other solid object. My new/used boat has a 200 Mercury on it that I don't want to destroy by the motor not releasing if I hit something on the river/lakes. On our river, it's not a matter of IF you hit something, but WHEN. Can someone explain to me how this can be done, or if it can be done at all?
    Bill in SC

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill put the engine in forward gear and reach and get the engine and see if you can lift it. It should have the auto lock in reverse only.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Willard, thanks for the reply. It won't release that way on this motor. On the Merc 200 Black Max, on the two cylinders that push the motor up, the ends are threaded with a nut. Their shafts go through another bracket with the nut on the outside. The power trim pushes the motor up, and pulls it back down, but the nuts on the end of the cylinder shafts won't let the motor swing up freely. If I can't figure out how to rig it to swing up on impact, I might just as well go ahead and sell this motor and get one that will. Otherwise, this motor and the back half of my boat will end up on the bottom of the Big Pee Dee.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It would seem to me that you could take the nuts off the cylinder shaft ends. Then pick up the engine, clear of the cylinder shafts. The, put the nuts back on the end of the shafts, and rest the motor back down on them. that way the cylinder would still push the engine up, and the weight of the engine would bring it back down when retracting the cylinders. Anybody ever try this?
    Bill in SC

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Some thoughts from my brother who builds the racing Mercurys:

SOME THOUGHTS
    I think you could replace the nuts in the end of the trim cylinders with something that would break away.
    I’m thinking of an aluminum half nut. It needs to be a soft metal so it won’t damage the threads on the end of the shaft. Just enough strength to hold it in place during normal use, but would shear off easily.
    Maybe a plastic nut might even be better.
    OR, if the end of the shaft can be drilled, you could put a shear pin (cotter pin) in it. But most of the hydraulic shafts that I’ve encountered are too hard to drill.

Bill in SC

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill I would say the thin plastic nut would be the ticket