Power trim leak

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by scout, Dec 12, 2007.

1. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello fellas. I have a 1997 Yamaha C115 2-stroke, model# C115TLRV outboard. I have recently noticed a small power trim fluid leak coming from one of the trim pistons. Is this something that I can fix myself or does it need to go to the shop? Thanks in advance, Randall Duhon.:006:

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i hope someone answers this cuz i have small leak on my 90hp Yamaha.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep guys you can rebuild those your self. You need a exploded view of the cylinder and a real clean place to break it down. I'll see if I can locate the kits online for you.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Randall, my friend,
    How da hell are ya?

You can keep dem choppers flyin', you sure can fix that leak.

You need the spanner wrench to take off that cap with the seals in it. Order a new cap and install it. Done deal.

Polish the trim rod with crocus clothe before the new cap instalation.

5. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys. I found a web site that has a great breakdown of all the parts for my motor. It is a great site for getting parts and supplies for outboards. They have a illustrated parts section of each motor that shows every part and tells you the price. I am just not sure what parts I needed to buy to do the job. So I figured I would ask the pros.

Do I have to take all the fluid out before I remove the cap?

Hey Bob, how have you been? It is nice to hear from you again. Have you been doing any fishin?

Thanks for the help, Randall Duhon.:006:

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah, been doin' some salt water offshore fishing. Nothing to brag about yet.

All you need to do is trim up your engine, and lock it.
    Take off the cap that's leaking, and replace it with a new one. I think they come with seals already installed. Check on that.

Getting the right spanner wrench is the hardest part.

When your done, cycle the trim a few times, check the fluid, and go fishing.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bob I am glad you finally got your lazy hinney in on this. You are far more up to date on the tilt and trims them me..:big_smile:
    Good to see you post again.

8. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Bob, it is good to hear your smiling voice here. All I did on my trim cylinder was replace the o-rings and the bushing in the cap and it worked great for me and I followed your advise to cycle it up and down a few times.

9. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks again guys. Bob, we have some spanner wrenches here at work and I should be able to find on that fits. By the way, it sure is nice to see you back. Your friend, Randall Duhon.:006:

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Randall uses his boat in salt water, that's why I suggest getting a new cap with seals.

Bubba, if you saw what I was doing today, you wouldn't call me lazy.

Just to change the spark plugs in a Sea Ray boat, with a 5.7 ltr engine. I had to dismantle the engine compartment and remove the alternator. All this is done by the braile system. still can't see where the spark plugs go.

The only way I could get this done, is by talkin' dirty to it, and I can sure do that.:smile2:

11. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Bob, I wish I was there to give you a hand. I could hand the sparkplugs to you lol.:smile2:

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I could use a hand with this engineered nightmare. you can bet your azz that whoever designed this abortion, had no intentions of ever changing the spark plugs.

To all those reading this, if you buy a boat with an inboard engine, you need professional help. They belong in automobiles. Everytime I work on a boat like this, and it draw's blood, my rates go outta sight! God I hate stern drive boats!!!

13. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Never did like them myself Bob. I towed one in a few years ago with a rod through the block. Have a good weekend Bob and try and forget obout that inboard, Randall.:006:

14. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bob and Bubba, I replaced the seals on my power trim today I also removed all the fluid and replaced with new fluid. So far so good, no leaks. Thanks again for all the help, Randall.:0a31:

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the follow up randell

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I knew you could do it!!!:smile2:

17. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I put it to the test yesterday. I froze my a## off and made a fishing trip:eek:oooh:. I checked it yesterday after I got home and had no leaks:big_smile:.

Even though it was cold yesterday I did pretty good. Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That was well worth the cold trip.:wink:

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do I see a couple of redfish in that box?

Ya done fine!!!

20. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yes Bob, that was a few of those pesky Reds that my old friend Joe Ware is so fond of catching lol. Everytime I catch one I think of Joe :smile2:.

I think he is about to move back to Louisiana soon. He will be happy to be close to salt water again.

I sure wish April was still around so we could do some marsh fishing. Have you heard from her lately? Do you have her e-mail?

I hope you have been well, talk to you later, Randall.:006: