Power tilt & trim switch placement

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by solomon, Mar 13, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I'm getting a new 16' jon boat/motor/trailer, and the motor has power t/t. The dealer said they'd mount the switch on the rear seat of the boat. I got to thinking and I don't really want it there. Anybody got any idea where might be a good place for it to go. I don't want to have to reach real far for it. I just don't want it right up under my butt either.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    if it is a tiller job id mount in on a little plate on the side of the boat some tiller jobs have a spot for a key if it is electric start id mount it next to it a side console or center console on the dash my t/t is on the throttle/gear stick.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    it is electric start, but the boat has no console. Motor's a tiller steer.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i would place it on a bracket where you can reach it real easy then is what i would do

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's what I would do too. Fab up a little bracket out of some metal and just mount it wherever seems to be convenient to reach while you are driving.

6. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    A buddy's uncle use to do some proffesional fishing down by the damns. He has insanely large jon boat The thing is easily 24'+ and at least 6' wide (I couldnearly lay sideways in it. Anyway, it was a tiller electric motor and he made a little bracket/plate that he put his keyswitch, a gauge or two, and the trim/tilt switch on. Sit on the back seat with your left hand steering and bracket on the side ride by your right hand.
    ......____ ......
    ..../::::::.\....
    ....l::::::::l....
    ....l -----. l....
    ....l -----.[l....
    ....l:_.^._:l....
    .........'.........

The character in bold is the bracket/plate I'm talking about. To the right of the back seat. Hope that helps.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    How did you draw that picture of that boat Trigger??? :) That's awesome.

8. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    that looks like a good idea. I think I'll go with that, except switch it to the left side, since I steer with my right hand. I was wanting to get a tach guage, so it could go on there to along with any other switches. Could put my fishfinder on top of it too. Thanks guys.