Power Tilt and Trim

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by AwShucks, Jan 7, 2008.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Willard, I'm experiencing a problem with my power tilt and trim. It is the standard tilt and trim evenrude used on, I believe, it's 60 HP thru 85HP motors during the 70's and 80's. The tilt and trim works like it is supposed to (great, huh) but I can't get two brand new trim guages to work. Think the problem is in the sending unit located in the port cylinder. I took the sending unit out, and a spring and steel ball fell out - have no idea where the went except in the hole located in the cylinder. Do you have access to an exploded schematic showing how the componets fit in side the cylinder, or have other ideas why the trim guage don't work? Or perhaps, know how to test the sending unit to see if it is bad.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That spring and ball goes under the sending unit pick up. You have two piceses that screw out of the port cylinder and it should be a stud and a larger piece that it screws into. The ball and spring goes under that with the ball going in first and the spring with the bigger unit holder screwing in and then the small section screwing into that.
    Send me an e-mail add at coofficer@blomand.net and I'll send you a picture of this. as for the testing I'll read up on it to see where to start testing it.

Does your unit have the wires already run up front or are you trying to run those wires up to the trim gauge.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bubba, much thanks. We decided to be lazy and not put that much effort into it so we bought a used cylinder... works good. LOL

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did you get my e-mail I sent yea.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure did, they were great instructions. Put them in a 3 ring binder for the next time. LOL Thanks