power tilt and trim?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by jasonminitruck, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I am wanting to put power tilt and trim on my boat motor, and was wanting to know how would be best. To find a power trim motor that would fit directly on the motor, or to bulild a jackplate and attach the power trim motor to it?

2. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    Which brand,year,model outboard do you have? Adding trim gets expensive unless you get a unit from a salvaged outboard, even then it can be pricey.

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
  4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And then again, it depends on what your talking about. On one hand there is tilt and trim, on the other there is tilt. The difference is tilt and trim will not only allow you to tilt the motor approximately 15 degrees while still in gear, it will also raise the motor to a travel position. This allows you to change you plane and get out of the hole faster. Tilt just raises and lowers the motor, but when you try to operate the boat it will always go to the bottomed out position as the hydraulics are not sufficient to hold the motor in place. From what research I have done, and its several years old, an after market tilt and trim will run about 6 to 7 hundred, while a tilt will run 4 to 5 hundred. The funny thing is, you can get a used tilt and trim for about the same price as a used tilt. But, you've gotta look hard to find one as they most definitely do not grow on trees.

5. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    forgot to tell you that I already have the ram for it was just wondering wich one would be the easier way to go. It is an after market ram waterproof, and holds up to 650 LBS. 25 horse johnson not sure on the year. I just want it to hold the motor up while bait fishing in shallow water, and during transportation of the boat.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn Jason, I'm not wanting to sound like a know it all, but I'd not recommend you use the tilt/tilt and trim unit to hold your motor while traveling. Instead use a bracket designed to hold your motor in the travel position. This is an example of one that Bass Pro offers.

If your cylinder goes out, and accidents do happen, it will allow you motor to lower to the run position. Pot holes, bumps and speed bumps just love to see a motor like that.

Attached Files:

7. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    I've got the transome save I'm using it to help take some of the stress off of the back of the trailor, so it is mostly to keep the motor up off of the rocks while catching bait.

8. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    You can manually tilt the motor all the way up and use the built in travel lock. Or you can fab something like this since you already have a ram...http://www.dillon-racing.com/gt-pro/trim-bracket.htm. I haven't tried this, but if I still had my 25hp Johnson, I think I'd give it a shot.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's a cool link, Dale! Got my wheels a turnin'! :wink:

Bill in SC

10. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    thanks that link was what i was needing it helps alot, and appears to be pretty simple.