Power steering add on kits??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Phil50, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Has anyone any experience with adding power steering to an outboard? I'd hope PS would take the motor torque out of the steering. But don't know anything about these kinds of add on kits.

I have a 115 Suzuki on a 20' Xpress and need to make it easier to steer so my wife can drive it.

I've adjusted the trim tab and the steering is neutral at speed trimmed out, but getting there is pretty tuff, more than she can safely handle.

I've been looking at the Baystar or Seastar systems by Teleflex.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I don't have any experence with them personally but do know some guys that have added them and liked them. If you do decide to get one let us know how it does I may add one to my toon.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've had hydraulic steering before and love it.
    If the budget allows I'll have it on the toon too. Maybe not when she hits the water but at some point.

The only downside. All of the componets minus the hoses are expensive.
    If you do encounter a problem with the ram or pump you'll dig deep in the wallet again.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Don't even think twice ;just add it.It will make a world of difference.I hesitate to call it power steering, hydraulic assist is more like it.The Seastar is excellent and if I had one recommendation it would be get the Kevlar re-inforced hoses even though they cost more.I believe you can get the kits from Cabelas or West Marine.Not cheap but worth every penny.:big_smile:

5. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Looking on Teleflexs' web site, can't seem to figure out which helm to buy. I want the tilt, but don't know if I need a 1.7, 2.0, 2.4 cu. in. version. I'm wondering what difference it makes in the steering?

Does the more fluid displaced by the helm make it easier to steer? The cylinder is still 5 turns lock-to-lock so the difference must be ease of movement the more fluid displaced.

AM I guessing this correctly?

6. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I added hydraulic steering and it's gr8. My 15 year old daughter can handle it with no problems.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Your guess is correct and kind of depends on how big a boat you have and how far you have to push the fluid.For me I always go with the bigger/more option figuring its there even if I dont need it.:smile2::big_smile::wink:

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have been thinking about the same thing. The Suzuki 140 on mine is not bad. But if i run it like I do most times. AT 4000 RPM that is 32 + MPH it will get to you after a while.
    Good luck and I will be watch out for the report on how well you like it if you do get one.
    Pete

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Pete, no need to watch, just get one!

They make these things for boats running multiple outboard setups all the way through motor yachts utilizing multiple control stations.
    A simple Seastar kit will handle about any boat those of us use here.

The hardest part of the install is bleeding all of the air out of the lines and that aint hard.

Speaking of steering, Bobpaul gave me a brass destroyer wheel that was triple chromed. First nickel plated then chrome plated.
    It had seen plenty of saltwater use and the wheel hub had right much chrome pitting.
    When you price these things they are expensive. I took the wheel apart. You screw the spokes into the hub until you can pull the other end of the spoke out of the wheel , then you screw the spoke out of the hub.
    Anyhow, I got it all taken apart and carried it to a GE employee with a side business of ceramic coatings.
    I havent seen it yet but he got it dechromed and denickeled last night. Tonight he was spraying it with a blue tinted ceramic coating and firing it in the oven.
    Cant beat it for 20 bucks and it wont pit.
    They are ceramic coating engine parts these days including headers. It'll take high temperatures without discoloring like chrome will.