Power Pro

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by MAX1955, Jan 5, 2008.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Can someone give me the pro's and con's of power pro fishing line. I'm thinking of switching to it. Thanks.....

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Power pro is the only line that I use, of all of the braids that I have tried it holds up the longest and the knots hold very well unlike firewire and some of the others. Welcome to the BOC Mike !

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I use 65# myself and have for 4 years. It is a very durable line in my opinion and holds up good for me as well. You have to make sure you tie a good knot with it(or any other braid) or you will be like me the first year with my Spiderwire(used it before Powerpro) and think it is junk and breaking easily. I would reel it in(bass fishing then) and would think it had broke because it would still be straight but it was just pulling through and doesn't curl like mono does if it pulls through.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's all I use. You can pack a lot of line on a reel, it lasts for years, and no memory. Learn to tie a palomar knot if you're going to use it! It takes some getting used to since there's no stretch, but you can feel it if the fish sneezes:wink: Good luck!

Branden

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks for the information guys, I think I'll try it out on two of my rod and reel set ups.

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have been using it for a couple years now. Only bad thing is, if you get a birds nest it is very hard to pick out!

7. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I can confirm from bad experiances that you have to have a good knot using power pro lost many fish before due to this!

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Mike;
    Like many others have posted here I too like Power Pro and prefer it over many of the other Braids on the market. While the others are also correct in that any Spectra braid takes a bit getting used too, once you get used to it I think you will stay with it for most of your fishing needs.
    You will have to use different knots with the Spectra Braids such as Power Pro because many of your Monofilament knots will NOT hold with Power Pro, or any other Spectra Braid for that matter. But it's not that difficult either. Keep the instructions that come with your spool of Power Pro and learn a couple of knots and you will do just fine. In fact, here is the website address where you can go find more information about Power Pro in addition to getting several questions answered too.:big_smile:
    http://www.powerpro.com
    Hope this helps your out and I hope you enjoy using Power Pro as much as I have, and still do.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I even use it on my crappie rod-feel every little "tic"

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Another thing about the braided lines, is to have it tightly packed.

11. Eurolarva

Eurolarva New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Polymer knots are best and a uni knot for tying line to line. You should also run about twenty winds or so of mono on the reel first then tie the power pro with the uni knot. If you dont do this and you catch a big fish the line could just spin on the real. I have read that some people use electrical tape in the spool first then tie the power pro on. I fished with a Trilene knot forever and tested it using 6 lb power pro. I kept breaking at the knot with t he trielene and uni knot. The polymer knot held every time. In your web browser type in animated knots and you will find a very useful and easy to follow area for knot tying.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    AND REMEMBER when you do get a snag, DO NOT try and get it free with your bare hands! or your gonna lose some meat! keep a wrap stick or something to use for this.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i can't add anything to what's already been said. on my cat rods, powerpro is all i use. i use berkley big game for backing, and for leaders as well. i have landed some really nice fish on this stuff. one thing i can add is to keep your fish off the rocks during the fight- it, like any fishing line, will get cut on rocks under tension!

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    all good no problems really like it !