Power Pro

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Sponxx, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

Has Power Pro been retired from the market?
    my brother was in the US and he tried to get Power Pro for me, and had some problems finding it, they said they are no longer making it... do you know if it is true or where they just trying to get him to buy some other stuff??
    Do you recommend spooling up wth mono, and then attaching just a hundred yds of power pro with another mono leader?

thanks

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    They make it, just most people don't carry it.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Our sponsor Catfish Connection has it online. I can buy it up to 65Lb in Wally World too and if they carry it it should be everywhere! LOL And Bait Pro Shops has it too. It's out there. Someone was pulling his leg I'd say. LOL

4. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

He did manage to get it at Sports Authorities, I have cleared up on what happened. he did find the lb test, but not on my desired spool lenght, so he had problems looking for it... on TSA he did find what i was asking for (though it was the only power pro porduct they carried).

How do u suggest i should spool my spinning reel?
    thanks!

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I use it on spinning reels. Use a bit of mono for backing then just wind it on. That stuff is great for spinning reels in my opinion. No twist at all and casts like a dream.

6. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

I got the 15# test one... my spinning reel has capacity for up to 200yds of regular 12lbs lines. I know that if i spool it all with the power pro braided then i will get much more than 200yds in the reel. Is it worth it? i dont think ill be ever using more than 100 yds of it. what should i do?
    spool up some regular 0.4mm mono, for say 100m and then the power pro with another 1-3 feet mono leader?
    The thing is i need the reel in almost max capacity for longer casts, dont I?
    thanks for the information

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Tried Power Pro on a spinning rod. Liked the no line twist, but it was a booger when hung up. Usually had to cut the line. Also, the stuff nicked my rod tip and the tip broke off. It was a Bass Pro rod and they replaced it with no questions. Gone back to Trilene, though may use it on the reel I have on my ugley stick. You can buy it on-line at academy.com. Bass Pro Shops also carries it. Usually, with braided lines, its best to leave at least one round of mono on the spool before putting on the braid. You can also just put on one layer of electrical tape to keep the line from turning around on you when spooling it.

8. Sponxx

Sponxx New Member

I have a 7' (2.13m) Ugly Stick, Medium action... I plan to use that set up to fish flounders here in South America... supposedly the most frequent combination is a Penn 4500 os 5500 SS reel, with 12lb mono and a 7-8ft rod...
    I guess im all set up with that...
    Will the Power pro cut my rod guides?

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shouldn't have a problem with the rod guides on newer rods like the ugly stick. The rod tip that I had cut by the braide line was the graphite portion. It was a light rod with a skinny tip.

10. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Power Pro Line Slippage
    This trick took awhile to figure out and I will be happy to share it for others. You wrap the spool 4 or 5 times and then tie your knot. The 4500 Shimano Baitrunners have small grooves in the actual spool. So you try to cover as much of the width of the spool with wrapping 5 times then putting your knot in the middle. This might take a few trys at first, but make sure it is backwards from the way the line will run on the spool as it will then tighten against it. I have no clue what the knot is I use as it is like a modified Trilene is the closest I have seen. Fresh Power Pro feels kind of waxy which does help reducing the slippage factor here.

Here is a little “real world” rating here on Power Pro. I have been using Power Pro line for the last 5 years and you just can’t beat it for reliability. I use 50 lb on my Medium poles, and 65 lb on my Medium Heavy and 80 lb on the Heavy actions. . I have never had any problems and 80 lb is really the way to go. Using Power Pro, you do not need to set the hook as hard as you do with mono line is one of the reasons I do like it. Most all of my poles now are custom designed to handle this type of line.

See Ya on the Water!
    Vince
    TeamWhiskers

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My rule of thumb for putting expensive line on a reel is to first figure out what my longest casts will be, then add a reasonable amount for line that will be lost when you cut off the last few worn inches of line every so often, and finally, add a fudge factor. That tells me how much of the expensive line I need on the reel. If that's anywhere near the capacity of the reel, there's no need to use a mono backing; otherwise, I'll use the calculated amount of expensive line with mono backing to properly fill the reel. Remember that when using slippery braided superline, you need to first put a few feet of mono on the spool to keep the braided line from slipping. As far as the terminal end of my line goes, I attach a really strong swivel to the braided line with a palomar knot, then attach 2'-6' of mono for a leader. While some folks like to use a leader that's heavier test than the braided line so it will hold up to abrasion better, I prefer to go the other way and use mono that's lighter in test than the braided line. I tend to fish places where I hang up pretty often, and I want the mono leader to break, rather than the expensive braided superline.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just wrap a little black electrical tape around the spool prior to tieing the braid on.NO LINE SLIP.

13. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Guys i use power pro on all my reels and it is the way to go. I've been looking at buying a 1500 yard spool just to offset the cost and getting the most feet for my dollar. I've recently seen a spool of Stren Super Braid and it is cheaper. Have any of you guys ever used Stren Super Braid? If so, how does it stack up to powerpro??

14. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I think that the Super braid is better than Power Pro.

15. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I think I'm going to start a separate thread about powerpro versus stren super braid because I'm kinda curious about the same thing.

16. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They make Power Pro, but a lot of places dont carry it. I know most Wal-Marts carry it.

17. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I'll take Power Pro over the Stren anyday.

Ray

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have tried both Power Pro and Stren Super Braid. The Stren seemed a little stiffer, was more expensive and the Power Pro seemed rounder. I stayed with Power Pro.