Power Pro with long Mono leader

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Aug 14, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    With my money being tight right now this will be down the road,but I think Im about to join the dark side.Im thinking 65lb on my 6500 with a long mono leader....best of both worlds...eh.
    And on my 9000...100lb with a very long mono leader....
    I have always been a mono guy and have been happy with it,but the other night hooking such a big fish made me start to thinkin about the capacity and maybe having that xtra line strength.I would never use it without the long mono out front,but as soon as I settle my camera issue I think Im gonna do it.

Bill.......you convinced me

2. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Kieth I have been using poer pro for the past 4 years now myself and like you I was hesitant at first. It didn't take long for me to realise that I love power pro!! I do most of my cattin from shore and i just wasn't getting the casting distance I needed with mono and it had too much stretch which meant alot of missed fish. With the braid my casting distace increased substantially and i could feel every bite as well as get solid hooksets at distance because of the no stretch. I found out a few things i needed to adjust right away.

1) I use a three way and inline slip rig's mostly three way and the leader to my hook is a 30-36" section of I prefer 30lb big game mono. I do this noy only to give a bit of stretch but also because mono wont slice your hands off like braid will when you grab the leader with a big fish on.
    With the inline rig i tie a 14-24" section of bg mono to my hook.

2) your going to have to back off your drag a bit so you don't snap your rod power pro is VERY strong line!!

3)If you get a bad snag get a heavy glove or wrap the line around something besides your hand it WILL slice you!!

4) get yourself a SHARP pair of scissors!! They recommend the Fiskars brand and i agree! You need it to cut this stuff!!

Also the only situation I could see needing a longer leader of mono would be for float fishing as I've foud that most styles of bobber stops and clip on floats slide up the power pro. I hope some of these tips save you some issues I'm sure your not going to regret the decision to switch to power pro!! As for the initial extra cost this stuff lasts a very long time!!! I have stuff on one of my reels thats four years old!! After two years I just reeled it onto a different reel as all the stuff closest to the spool was still fresh!!

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    All very valuable information and thanks for that.But,what I was thinking about with the idea of a long mono leader is the places we fish down here have lots of things on bottom that are very abrasive and mono holds up so much better.I figured if I had the long leader I could be better off for
    that problem of braid not holding up to that.I hope some others pop in and tell me how long of a topshot they use.......I was thinking 75yds or so.....am I crazy? Remember Im fishing from the bank....

4. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I am in exactly the same situation as you I'm a shore fisherman myself. I find that's where the three way rig shines. I tie a 12-16" drop to my weight and use a lighter mono say 14lb test that way if the weight gets hung up it'll break off first leaving you with the rest of your rig and the fish. A 75yrd topshot would almost defeat the purpose of using the braid. 65 and 100lb power pro will be fairly abrasion resistent you just have to keep an eye out for fraying and cut that section and re tie but i haven't had too many troubles with that. :big_smile:

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Maybe Ill try that when I can get the line,thanks.

6. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Im still waiting on Bill in Sc to explain his rig to me.He convinced me on the line,now I want to hear what he has to say about the leader.Granted hes fishing from a boat,but I could modify the length a little to suit my need from the bank.Im startin to think maybe a 5ft leader?

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Keith, I use 100#, OR, 80# Power Pro, (or Suffix) with about a 20 inch 60# FLUOROCARBON Carolina rig leader. The fluorocarbon leader leaves monofilament in the dust when it comes to toughness and abrasion resistance. The Roundhill convinced me to switch to fluorocarbon leader material after I lost several trophies with the mono leader failing, and I have never looked back. BTW: Most times, even in the river, I add a 2 inch cigar cork about 6 inchs above my bait, technically making my rig a Santee rig.

Bill in SC

8. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Ok thanks.I have some Yozuri flourocarbon I forgot I had and its 60lb,so when I can afford to get some Power Pro Ill be set.I think Im gonna go whole hog and get 100lb.If I get a 500yd spool I can put 300+ on the 9000 and have close to 200 for the 6500.Around 42.00 on Ebay right now.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    EXCELLENT choice! Now as to color, I like the phantom red the best. It shows up under light pretty good at night, and is basically invisible in the water. I would be careful about eBay Power Pro. I just got a 1500 yard roll of hi vis yellow 100# PP off there. I had to break it off the other night, and it broke like 10# line. I need to do another test on it, as it may have just been hung on a sharp object underwater. There is some COUNTERFEIT Power Pro going around. You can probably get a 500 yard spool from a reputable dealer for just a tad more than the eBay price you posted.

Bill in SC

10. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Ok Ill check it out Bill.Thanks for everything.

11. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I believe you will be loosing some casting distance if you go with 100# on your 6500's. I use 65 or 80 on mine an get a good distance but that 100# is no joke.
    I catch big fish around the barges here on the James River. I have broken off one fish due to the line rubbing on something under the water and in that case, it would not have mattered what I was using.
    Stick with the 65 on the 6500's and 80 on the bigger ones and you will be happy.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That is probably good advice for bank fishermen, needing LONG casts. From the boat, the 100 works good as I can let line out in the current. I guess I can comfortably cast the 100# 60 or 70 yards, with my 6000s and 6500s. The bank fisherman may want to use the 65 or 80# PP with a 50# Fluoro leader.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  13. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    60 or 70 yds would be all I would need in most of the places I fish.Man,
    I think thats plum across the Tailrace or Rediversion.Im still leanin towards the 100lb with the 60lb flourocarbin leader.The reason I may still put it on the 6500 as well is I always fish one out deep in the middle of the channel,and one along the edge somewhere.So,I dont think I would mind losing some distance on the 6500 if I use it to fish the edges.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The 100# will give you mega confidence, which will in turn, affect your fishing in a positive way.

Bill in SC

15. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    LOWCOUNTRY,
    MONO WILL SINK AND POWER PRO WILL STAY OFF THE BOTTOM. ANCHORING OR DRIFTING WE USE 3 FOOT 50# BIG GAME EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE LEADER. HOPE THIS HELPS.

16. seth3221

seth3221 New Member

State:
    NC
    I dont know if you have looked at team catfish website but they have a new line out that i'm going to compair with the PP. For the money you cant beat it. I have to agree with the others 65 or 80 will be plenty its not going to break unless you get hold of a sc gator. I'm in the process of figuring out if I like mono or fluro better as my leader. We lost a 36" + flat the other night on a branch near the bank when he rubbed the 30lb mono leader. From my experience 14 to 20 in. of leader is plenty. Also do you have any leader line you recommend and where can you get it?

Seth

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Defeating the purpose, there is no need for 75 ft. of mono tied on the end of braid !!! I use 100# Power-Pro & 80# Mono leader, If any thing breaks its always the leader !!! :confused2::crazy:

18. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    When I was thinking that I was thinking from a capacity point,but I think Im gonna spool it up with straight Power pro with a short flourocarbin leader.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <We lost a 36" + flat the other night on a branch near the bank when he rubbed the 30lb mono leader.>

Oh if I only had landed all I lost because of a mono leader. Haven't lost one since switching to the fluoro. Whatcha waitin' on? Well, I was waitin' on my 50# mono spool to run out. Lost two more bigguns before it did! :wink:

Bill in SC

20. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used power pro for a few years. I spool my reel with it and then tie on a barrel swivel and after the swivel i put on a 8 to 24 inch leader depending on what type of fishing i am doing. So you are thinking of putting powerpro on the bottom of the reel and topping it off with mono? Never seen it done. But wouldnt you be taking the power away from the pro so to speak?