Power pro vs. Spider wire

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by dlbenthusen, Feb 21, 2007.

1. dlbenthusen

dlbenthusen New Member

State:
    Louisburg, Kansas
    I use spider wire 50lb and 80lb. So far I have loved it. It will straiten a hook or pull up a log before braking. My friend was telling me power pro is better. I don't change my line as often as I should. About once a year. I just cut 2ft off now and then. I fish about every other weekend during the summer and 2 or 3 weekends in the winter. What line would be good for this abuse. And has a good cast.

2. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have purchased, and used, both Spiderwire Stealth and PowerPro, 50lb test in both. Spiderwire cast great, but did cut down through itself, on the baitcaster spool. It sliced through to the point it could not be un-knotted. I tried to remove the tangel for over an hour, no luck. The teflon surface, and hollow construction, allow Spiderwire to displace itself and slice down through the wraps on the spool.

The PowerPro brand was well spoken of. On my second cast, with a 2 ounce weight, my reel decided to hangup a little bit. Twenty feet of PowerPro, with the 2 ounce weight, headed towards the far shore. My reel caused the problem, but 50lb test, my thought, should resist the inertia of a 2 ounce weight.

I have now used Berkley Fireline for 2 full years of testing. It does not slice down through itself on the bait or spinning reel spool. I very much like the floating capability of the line. It floats above all the basalt rocks of the Columbia Basin. The reel can "hang", during casting, and you do not loose your two ounce sinker. Fireline has no "memory" in the line. It is a pleasure to fish with on a spinning outfit. I wish that Fireline was available in weights greater than 30lb. After a while, you will get used to the "frayed" appearance, on the surface, from use. Try and break the frayed line and you will find out that appearances can be deceiving. Fireline does not breakdown from UV, sunlight, exposure. One drawback is fishing, below freezing, for steelhead. The Fireline will build up ice on the surface, from repeated cast. I did find that if I use a little of my bait oil, on the line surface, that the ice build up is stopped and prevented.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Dave, good information on Fireline, been thinking about it for a spinning rig. As for the icing up, you may want to try Real Magic. Its not petroleum based so may be better in the long run for the line. Don't know if it would work, though.

4. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington

Thanks for the information on the Real Magic. I will try some. My "bait oil", shrimp flavor, was at hand, at the time. Seemed to work for keeping the ice off.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I am a firm beliver in powerpro I use a backing on all my reels never had a problem with them cutting into them

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I've used both power pro and spiderwire and there was no comparison. The spiderwire was what i started out with. It became fuzzy and ribbonlike only after a half a season of fishing. After some advice from some of the guys i tryed powerpro and its still on the reels after a full year of fishing and is still in good shape.

Dave, i don't know what to say bout that. What size line were you using? I primarily use 65 and 80 and i've lost a few weights to my mono 17pd leader but none that i can remember from casting. As a matter of fact, every time i hung up it took a dowel rod to break it loose.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello all just a FYI the fire line does come in greater than 30 pund test. check the web site. i brought mine from gander mountain in ( now do not quote me) i believe 60 # test fact is it has been on so long i dont remember the exact test strength , heck i guess thats a testiment in its self .

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave

I just purchased a 300 yrd spool of 80# Fireline from Catfish Connection.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The highest test I saw on the site is 30 lb Fireline. Berkley does have an 80 lb braided line.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Spiderwire sems to be more ribbon(flat) like and from what I have seen when people use it in current it tends to vibrate. You can feel it in the rod. I dont know if it attracts or might scare fish off but I do know I dont like it. I am a prower pro man.

11. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    On the Berkley website, as you noted, 30lb test is the highest test. I came across another site that noted "Fireline XDS" had been discontinued. The XDS was the heavier test lines. Does anyone know why it was discontinued? The 80lb line, referenced at CC above, is a great buy.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The website I referred to is the CC website.

13. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Power Pro 100lb test for me.

14. dlbenthusen

dlbenthusen New Member

State:
    Louisburg, Kansas
    I'v had spider wire inbed it's self in the spool, and cause problems casting. Does power pro cast better?

15. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    My experience was, for 1 cast, great. On my second cast, my reel hung up, a little. The hangup, reel caused not line caused, was enough to break the 50lb test, with a 2 ounce sinker. I emailed PowerPro on my experience, but I never heard from them. Okuma fixed my reel, Nytrix model, and had it back to me in 4 days. This was my experience with PowerPro. Many speak highly of it, but at 10-12 dollars a cast, for me, I thought it not worth the money. Perhaps there was just a flaw in the line. I have used other lines with similar spool stoppages, caused by me, line, and/or reel, and have not had the line break.