Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted in the wrong thread first!!
I am switching all my reels over to power pro and I love the way the phantom Red line looks, Has anyone ever tried this? I like the yellow also, I just want a line that I can see easily, and I think the red will be easy to see and may also give the impression of bleeding! Also has anyone ever tried the Ugly Braid, you can buy it pretty cheap and I was wondering how well it was? I may get some just to try on a few reels!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I just bought a 1500 yd spool of the red power pro. Acording to the info on it. Red is the first color to disapear under water. So it should be hard for fish to see and still see it above water .

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
like i said in the other post, use whatever you like and you are confortable with. i have always used green, but i know people that use the yellow and it is very vissible in low light. they like it very much. if you are using a mono or flurocarbon leader then i dont think you would have to worry about line color to much. let us know what you come up with and how you like it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have used all the colors of P.P. The red is great, but I'd recomend using the 65lb test or higher for the big cats or when fishing near rocks. :cool2:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I use the yellow, green and red PowerPro lines.
The only reason I use different colors is because I use different weight lines. It's nice to know for certain what pound test you have on, don't have to guess size line I have on.

As for the red PowerPro disappearing in deep water, it ain't going to happen. It'll look like black line, because the base material is opaque, the light will not be able to pass through it.
Red mono will disappear, due to the base material being translucent, and the light will be able to pass through it.

Example;
Take a 4'x4' pane of glass, while it's being manufactured have it tinted with a pure red dye.
At the same time, take a 4'x4' piece of gypsum board, dyed with the same pure red dye during manufacturing.
Now take the 2 pieces into the depths, while the pieces are being submerged, the glass will become clearer whilst the gypsum board will still have the optical properties of a brick wall.

:004:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I just bought a 1500 yd spool of the red power pro. Acording to the info on it. Red is the first color to disapear under water. So it should be hard for fish to see and still see it above water .
That's what they say. LOL But of course, you can buy bleeding red hooks too. It's most definately confusing. LOL Red that disappears? Or red that that makes bait look like it's bleeding. LOL Decisions, decisions! Sorry tim, I couldn't resist. LOL

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think you could keep what you dont use on the spool and out of Direct sunlight and room temps (not on the dash of your boat!) It should be fine.:wink: Great stuff! I use the 80lb also! The color on power-pro rubs off after a while, but that doesnt hurt anything!:big_smile:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
You can store it indefinitely. I just changed my line after three years on the reel. I probably should have reversed it but....

I ordered some here recently and it came in white. I didn't even know it came in white.

I will say I am not a fan of 65 lb pp as I had way too easy a time bustin it off.

I use 100lb and love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.