Power Pro Line Color??

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by getbit, Feb 14, 2008.

1. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Posted in the wrong thread first!!
    I am switching all my reels over to power pro and I love the way the phantom Red line looks, Has anyone ever tried this? I like the yellow also, I just want a line that I can see easily, and I think the red will be easy to see and may also give the impression of bleeding! Also has anyone ever tried the Ugly Braid, you can buy it pretty cheap and I was wondering how well it was? I may get some just to try on a few reels!

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I just bought a 1500 yd spool of the red power pro. Acording to the info on it. Red is the first color to disapear under water. So it should be hard for fish to see and still see it above water .

3. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i just got a spool too.i havent used it but last year i used cajun line and it worked well.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    like i said in the other post, use whatever you like and you are confortable with. i have always used green, but i know people that use the yellow and it is very vissible in low light. they like it very much. if you are using a mono or flurocarbon leader then i dont think you would have to worry about line color to much. let us know what you come up with and how you like it.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have used all the colors of P.P. The red is great, but I'd recomend using the 65lb test or higher for the big cats or when fishing near rocks. :cool2:

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I use the yellow, green and red PowerPro lines.
    The only reason I use different colors is because I use different weight lines. It's nice to know for certain what pound test you have on, don't have to guess size line I have on.

As for the red PowerPro disappearing in deep water, it ain't going to happen. It'll look like black line, because the base material is opaque, the light will not be able to pass through it.
    Red mono will disappear, due to the base material being translucent, and the light will be able to pass through it.

Example;
    Take a 4'x4' pane of glass, while it's being manufactured have it tinted with a pure red dye.
    At the same time, take a 4'x4' piece of gypsum board, dyed with the same pure red dye during manufacturing.
    Now take the 2 pieces into the depths, while the pieces are being submerged, the glass will become clearer whilst the gypsum board will still have the optical properties of a brick wall.

:004:

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    That's what they say. LOL But of course, you can buy bleeding red hooks too. It's most definately confusing. LOL Red that disappears? Or red that that makes bait look like it's bleeding. LOL Decisions, decisions! Sorry tim, I couldn't resist. LOL

8. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks guys! I am going with the red in 80 lb. If I buy the 1500 yard spool and I dont use it all, can you store it or do you need to do something to it to keep it fresh??

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think you could keep what you dont use on the spool and out of Direct sunlight and room temps (not on the dash of your boat!) It should be fine.:wink: Great stuff! I use the 80lb also! The color on power-pro rubs off after a while, but that doesnt hurt anything!:big_smile:

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You can store it indefinitely. I just changed my line after three years on the reel. I probably should have reversed it but....

I ordered some here recently and it came in white. I didn't even know it came in white.

I will say I am not a fan of 65 lb pp as I had way too easy a time bustin it off.

I use 100lb and love it.

11. gpbakken

gpbakken New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    the last time I spooled the green, as cabelas was out of the yellow... that being said, I'll be using it again, the only difference is I'll order the hi-vis this time. makes it way easier to watch.