Power Pro fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Feb 26, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Went to BASS PRO and almost bought some 50 lb Power Pro, however I know it sounds stupid but I'm still concerned on what it will do to my rods or mostly my reels. I thought about getting 65 lb. Power Pro in the 300 yd. and trying it on my ambassadeur 7000C3,

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Don't know what happened I think I mistakenly hit the wrong button. Well, as I was going to ask, putting Power Pro on a 7000c3 does it in any way or form injure the reel. I would just hate to ruin a good 99.00 reel / also I was told that eventually over a long time Power Pro will do some damage to the rod, I would put my 7000 on one of my TIGER Rods so I need some great advise, I don't have alot of money to ruin my outfits and when I do I try to buy the best that I can for my money.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

PowerPro is completely safe for your rod and reels.

I have used it exclusively for the last 4 years and have had no issues with either rod or reel. One pitfall I learned early is to not set your drag too heavy wih a baitcaster, as you can wear the drag washers out early.

I use 100# on my 7000 series, 65# on most of my 6000 series, and 50# on other 6000 series (distance casters) (I have seen no problems with the line cutting into the guides of any of my rods, including several Tiger rods, a problem often seen with early or cheap braid lines).

And I also use several light weight lines on my channel cat, panfish, trout, and carp rods.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I used 80lb power-pro last year on my abu 7000s for the first time. It doesn't affect the reels performance in any way. You could hurt your reel by turning the drag all the way up I suppose, but I just use my thumb on the spool to slow a big fish. As for rods I have E-cat#4s They have inserts in the rod tip and showed no signs of wear. In my opinion you'll break a rod with power-pro before you ruin a reel.

5. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Just noticed that the 7000c3 has a little screw head on the spool--I figure this is what you would tie regular line to before spooling your reel, can you do this with Power Pro or do you still need to put regular line on the spool before Power Pro.

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Randy, all I do is put some cheap mono on first for 2 reasons. 1. It keeps the pp from slipping on your reel. 2. you don' want to put 300yds. on your reel. I usually put enough mono on so that when I put the pp on It will take about 150yds. to finish filling up the reel.

7. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Would 65 lb. power pro be enough on the 7000c3 for most river fishing or should I go larger. Also would a 5000 hold up in a river with power pro just in case a big one hit, like I said IF it happened, have 2 5000's and figure I might try and put some on---hoping to put 100 lb. on my penn 320's soon.

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Bought me a 500 yd spool of 100 lb. power pro today, I'm not sure but I think I'll put it on my 7000c3's, if not I'll put it on 1 7000c3 and 1 320 GT2. NEED ADVISE I feel real comfortable throwing the 7000c3 with hardley any backlashes what so ever (knock on wood)---now I'm not so experienced with the 320's but getting better. My big question is should I put it on the 7000 since it's easier for me to handle and if so will I be able to put it on the 320 gt2 after I'm more comfortable at throwing the reel. I've never thrown with Power Pro-----is it harder or easier to toss.

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Randy power pro is easier to toss IMHO. It slips thru the guides easier. Put it on both reels and you will never look back. Like was poster earlier. Use some cheap mono backing and then finish with 150 yards of power pro. If you use the mono you can fill three reels with the 500 yards of power pro. Makes is cheaper to use that way. Also dont be in a hurry to change it. I have it on 4 abu 7000C3s now for 4 years and still going strong.

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Whats the best way to measure out 150 yds. thought about just measuring with a yd. stick and having my wife stand in the cemetery which is our back yd. and putting on reel.

11. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I just guessed . I got close.

12. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Don't think my wife would mind holding the line for me, or maybe she might---which ever way I have two kids I can always put to work. My guesses are usually way off.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Power Pro has a link on there website about bootleg line with there name on it. None here in the states that they know of yet.

14. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I have power pro on most of my reels and never had a proplem

15. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Recieved my 500 yds. of 100 lb. power pro in the mail today, boy is the spool large, didn't expect such a large spool of line. Well I should be recieving my other PENN 320 GT2 in the mail soon, when I do I'll load both of my 320's and 1 of my 7000c3's with it. Decided that I'll probably use my MEDIUM/HEAVY Boat Rod rated for 20-50 LB. line and the MEDIUM/HEAVY TIGER Rod for my river rods. I ordered 2 new TIGERS from BASS PRO today and will be picking them up in a few weeks here in St. Louis, I got a Medium and another Medium/Heavy rod.

16. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Pay attention to that line Diameter of the Power Pro or your going to run short....been there...done that with my first spool!:eek:

17. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    YA thanks, I'm going to have to do some figuring and find a good decent way of measuring out the amount of line I'm going to need for each reel. I was thinking 175 yd. for both of my 320's and 150 for my 7000. I was thinking about using either 25 or 30 lb. Trilene Big Game Line as a filler line, would this be a good brand and poundage to use for backing? I have some 40 lb. Trilene Big Game that I bought last year left over that I will probably use at the end of my line, HOW MUCH MONO SHOULD I USE AT THE END OF THE LINE?

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Big Game is an excellent choice, I use 20lb on mine but thats up to you. Just make sure you get your mono filler on there tight prior to putting your Power Pro on. I usually put my filler on and then tie the end to something and take off down the road walking, then reel it back on the spool tight. Makes a much better bed for the PP to sit on...as far as leader, I use 12-18" leaders mostly but it depends how you fish and what your fishing in....Good Luck in 2006!:)

19. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks Ken, I would never have thought about putting the mono backing on that way, I'm sure I'd put it on way to loose----sounds great. If I use 30 lb. Mono is this going to be O.K. in thickness to join to the power pro and make a good connection?---Well I guess I can answer that myself, I guess if you can put a 40 or 50 lb. leader on I guess it'd be no problem with the 30lb. size. Appreciate the advise, and ya I hope I can get the opportunity to catch a good size cat this year also. I guess the most important part for me is to have fun doing it and not making it out to being a job, once it stops being fun I'll probably stop--which hopefully will be a long time.

20. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    30 should work just fine...Power Pro does well with knots...I use 50 lb Big Game for leader but sounds like your rigging heavier than I do. Someone with more experience rigging your way will be along shortly to help you I am sure.:)