Power Pro fishing line??

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LadyValea1, Sep 8, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Hi. I'm still new to catfishing.. so I've got a lot of questions!
    I've been reading about power pro line. I mostly bank fish with a 7 ft pole ...I'm getting a Garcia Baitcaster that I prolly get all birdnesty and stuff!!!

any sites that have videos on baitcasters and how to use them ??

anyway, whats the deal with using mono line first on the reel? and do I still use the power pro for the leader?

does power pro really feel different? thanks

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use cajun red 20# mono works great i refuse to pay 9 dollars for 150 yards of line

3. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Tina, you spool some mono on first because the braided line is slick and will spin on the spool. Mono will cinch down on the spool if the right knot is used and won't spin.

4. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I use a three-way swivel rig... should I use the same power pro on the leader for the hook ? and a light weight mono line for the bell sinker?

Is this power pro worth the trouble? ie. knots

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you are new to baitcasters, I suggest that you first learn to cast with mono on the reel. For one thing, its cheaper and if you get a really bad birdnest and need to cut it out, you aren't out much money, maybe $5 if you have the line spooled at the sporting goods store, less if you buy a big spool of Big Game. During the learning period, it may be a good idea to not use line size much greater than 15 lb if using mono. Its easier to handle.

Birdnests in braided line like Power Pro will turn you off to the stuff quickly. Also be aware that Power Pro and other braided lines are difficult to break off if you get hung up. Do not use your bare hand to try to get it unhung, the line will cut you. Of course, if your skin is thin, so will mono, but braided is much worse. Cut the line, use a glove to pull on it, wrap it around something and pull, use a rag, but don't use your hand to pull the line when it snags. Power Pro has many advantages, principal being that you can put on much more line for a given line weight class because its thinner than mono. That means, for example, if you normally use 20 pound mono, you can use a higer test Power Pro. That's important if fishing for big catfish. It also has less drag in the water because its thinner. But, it can be pretty unforgiving. Also, the knots you use to tie Power Pro to your teminal tackle may not be what you are familiar with. If you use the improved clinch knot, it won't hold. Most use the Palomar knot or the uni-knot to tie on terminal tackle.

As to leaders, your leader should be mono or flourocarbon. Most cat fishermen use mono, its cheaper and the more invisible nature of flouro isn't needed, but some like the limited stretch character of flouro.

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    gadzooks summed it up pretty well. the only thing he didn't mention was the lack of stretch pp has. if and/or when switch the first couple of bites will be alarming with no stretch the fish will feel bigger than it really is.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I'd forgotten the no stretch part, but that's because I no longer use braided. As often as I get hung up drift fishing, it costs too much to replace it. Also got some pretty deep cuts in my hands.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use power-pro for the same reasons gadzooks gave, smaller dia for the lbs test so you can put more line on the reel an the smaller dia is easier to fish in river current. I sometimes snell with it when I want a heavy pound test for my leaders, mono of the same test is just too bulkey and stiff. It is a hazard when hung up and as mentioned in other posts you should wrap it around something before pulling which should be done with any type line to prevent damage to yourself or your equipment. I keep a short piece of broom handle handy for this very thing which happens a lot when fishing the ohio river whether drifting or anchored.

9. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    use a cheap mono to learn your baitcaster then change

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Set your line tension on your reel correctly and your line won't birdnest. Powerpro is far harder to birdnest than CHEAP ole mono. Powerpro is probaly a beginners dream!!!!!