Power Pro Breaking

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catfisherman369, Jun 2, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Just strung a baitcaster about 2 weeks ago with 50 poung green power pro . When setting the hook the line keeps breaking always above the knot sometimes an inch sometimes 6 inches . The fish are only about 4 to 8 pounds this is happening on . If I try to break it with my hands it seems strong as it should be . Anyone had this problem ? Its only on one pole is whats crazy .

2. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    That is crazy, Floyd, I've used Power Pro for the last 4 yrs. or so and haven't had any problems like that. What kind of knot are you tying? maybe it's getting abraided? Or maybe you got a defective spool since it's on the same pole. One of those nutty things you may never figure out:confused2:

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What kind of sinkers are you using and are you using sinker slides?

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I use the palomar knot and 3 oz. egg sinker .

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The problem might stem from the line sliding through that 3 oz egg sinker. Does the line look like it's fraying out? I know braided line doesn't hold up very well to abrasion. I use no-roll sinkers,sinker slides and sinker bumpers with my Power Pro 65# line and haven't had any problems with line breakage since I started using this setup.

6. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well if you fishing in rocks especially limestone it will tear braid up faster than anything you may want to switch to a mono leader down to the hook instead of braid all the way

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Do not under any circumstances run braid through a sinker.Use slides or sinkers with a brass eye.Any right angle or sharp edge will cause braid to snap with pressure on it.:big_smile:

8. skyhead

skyhead New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If your running a slip sinker above your swivel/leader, I would say its the sinker rubbing on the line making it weak. With braided line, I switched to a bank sinker tied off about 10 inches below my hook. That way if the sinker does cause any abrasion to the line weakening it, It will be below the hook, and out the way of the line that you want to keep strong.

IMO. Running a leader off your line and a sinker below your hook also keeps the bait just off the bottom a little more and allows the bait to move around in the current more naturally.

But I am by no means any expert at this :smile2:

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive ran 30,40,50, and 100 lb. power pro through 2-12 oz. sinkers with and without sinker slides. Sinkerslides actually come out from the factory unburred with a little edge on them. I have since switched to a clip swivel, and I run zipties through my weights, so I can attach them easily to a clip swivel. The lead is soft, and is not doing any damage to the braid. Id say the sinker slide would do the most damage. The ones with the plastic T piece. Like JimmyJohnny said the lighter the power pro the easier it is to break. If anyone ever came up with a braid that was as abrasion resistant than mono, you'd have a real moneymaker there. I have broken all the above said lbs. of power pro one way or the other except the 100. It seems like 65 lb. and up gets alot thicker and is alot harder to break. Personally, Ill never buy braid under 65 lb. again. Good luck fellas. Stick a Pig !!! :big_smile:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree with Keith about sticking to 65lb and over, but 50lb should not be having a regular problem like that in any case. My first thought was knot failure, but you seem pretty clear that it happens well above the knot.

Try using a heavy (40lb+) mono leader. Also look for any unusual sharp edges on the sinker... something is cutting the line, it could also be a fish with sharp teeth or fins, which probably wouldn't be a catfish.

Last thought, there have been problems with fake PowerPro in the past http://powerpro.com/publish/content...dia___events/articles/imitation_powerpro.html, did you buy it from a known reliable retailer?

11. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    Also if it keeps happening on the same rod maybe one of your
    guides has a nick in it and is fraying the line when you cast.
    Just something to check out.
    hope you figure it out.

12. savage270

savage270 New Member

State:
    Duluth, GA
    I agree... It could be your tip guide if the line keeps breaking "6 inches" above your knot... sounds like the length of line let out before you cast.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with the folks who doubt it's your sinker - I've had PowerPro cut through the eye of a 16 oz bank sinker before and never had any line wear problems running the line direct through a sinker. If it'll cut the eyes out of a rod it'll laugh at lead :smile1:

I think the last two guys hit it on the head - check out the eye on your rod tip. Unless you'r running stainless or hardened eyes PowerPro will eat them for lunch. You'll have a sharp edged groove in that eye and it'll wear on your line. My only regret about using only braid is that I have spend a little more cash on rods that have eyes that will stand up to it.

14. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    After examining a few of my older rods, I noticed they had a grove digging into them and one of the eyes was slightly cracked.This was a couple of years ago and have not used PP since.If you have Stainless Steel guides.You don't have anything to worry about.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have given up on the power pro and went back to mono

16. Taknitez

Taknitez New Member

State:
    Halifax Co, Va

I couldnt agree more. Screamnreels has 65# PP on one of his rods and lost 5 or 6 fish in one day just setting the hook. The rods are ugly tigers with stainless eyes and sinker slides with beeds to protect the knot. I tried to get him to throw the rod, reel, and the line away.

17. Lee miller

Lee miller New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hate to here anybody giving up on power pro I have used it for the last 5 years and believe it to be the very best braid on the market. When using braid you have to use mono leaders for some shock protection because that line doesn't stretch and every inch you move that rod is how far your bait or fish will move. I have found using circle hooks with braid and just letting the fish set themselves to be the best option.

18. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Damn I love it when people tell the truth, preach on brother

19. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Once I started using braids, I made up my mind I would never go back to mono.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  20. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    You are a wise man Floyd......