?????? power pro breaking on hook set

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by screamnreels, Nov 24, 2009.

1. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I am doing a trial on power pro line and it's not going so well. I now have had over five fish break off when I set the hook, ok i'm tieing the palomar knot (the one suggested for this line) and it's 65lb test. Has anyone else had this problem? If so any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

2. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    sounds like it could be defective string,lol

i had that exact same thing happen with 50lb spiderwire years ago,i figured there was no way it would break on the hook set,but it did twice.don't know if it was huge fish or the string was weak?

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I think i'd have to take some of that off and conduct a pound test. Two times would have been enough for me.

4. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hmmm. Maybe you got a really old spool of line or something. If the knot is not coming undone and it is truly breaking.

I had problems for a while until I realized I had slightly frayed much of my line on rocks and logs river fishing and just respooled all my reels.

Also I always use a mono leader with any braided line, as it becomes abraded very easily especially close to the sinker and hook area.

Using a scale to test pound breaking strength is not a bad idea either!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  5. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Did you buy new swivels when you bought the line if so check them for flat spots i had the same problem, and it was the swivels were messed up from the factory this could also occur with hooks.

6. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas

Good call. Could be that also.

7. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    From my understanding niether of those lines have any give to them. So ever bit of the tention goes to the weakest point in the line,that being where the knot is. If you are going to use it use a mono leaded of lighter test # rating. The mono will have a bit of give to take up most of the tention/shock as well as giving you a lighter line in case you need to break off due to snags.

But if you really want a line you can count on to get the job done go with Trilene. I haven't found a line in over 30 years that can stand up to Trilene. IMHO Trilene is the best line out there.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    well yes I've seen that,you have one of two problems,either one the line has weak spots and is breaking or two you are setting the hook too hard. I'm betting on the too hard of hookset, heres whats happening. You have all that line out their that has a high breaking strenth,but a low shock resistence,meaning the sudden shock of your hookset against the weight,fish,bait out their underwater is too much for the line to take,it has no give like mono. there is a couple solutions here, #1 use a shock leader made out of mono so there is some stretch a 10+ foot leader is good,or #2 train yourself to use a different hookset like a steady sweep with not much power behind it. Reel down till the line is tight to the fish and give a gentler hookset that the rod itself can absorb since the line cannot. Also a rod with a softer action can help absorb some of the shock.

I use braid with pretied mono leaders and have had far fewer break offs from shock than I was having,including lost rigs from overpowering the cast,remember that couple oz. of lead has alot more force when swinging on a 12+foot arc at the end of your line and rod/reel,thrown hard enough a 2 or 3 oz sinker will have enough energy to break 65 lb.test line. without doing all the math a 2 oz sinker swinging at 300 mph will have
    x amount of force to which the line is trying to hold without snapping. It is incredible the amount of force a chunk of lead on the end of a swinging pole can have behind it,pretty much a bullet with alot of knockdown punch.

9. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Dont give up on that power pro just yet. Find out what the problem is, correct it, and you will never look back. Your headed in the right direction.:wink:

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If your knots are holding, sounds like a bit of frayed braid to me.. Can't have ANY nicks on it..or it's useless, for fishing...been my experience.
    also, check the guides, and tip top on your rod.. take a Q-tip and Wipe it around the inside, on each guide, and tip, if it damaged the q-tip will show you,,,..
    look at them and see if there's damage, etc..
    and, also, your terminal tackle for sharp, or square edges..as has been mentioned
    G

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I had the same problem , bought 4 boxes of 65 pound , cost me $60 . It kept happening with 2 different rolls . I said to heck with it and threw the other 2 boxes in the garage and respooled with ugly braid 65 pound and that stuff is mean . I think it would pull out a truck ...

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have used #65 Power Pro for a few years now and have never had a break during a hook set. I would have to lean toward line fray due to rod eyes damaging the line. I don't know the conditions you are fishing, but if you are setting the hook on a cat laying between rocks or other types of debris, the line could be getting sawed off. Good luck.

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    There is no way you could break 65lb PowerPro (or any other brand of braid) on a hook set unless something else is wrong. I have to agree with the posts about checking your rod tip and guides very carefully, and also checking your swivels. Look for anything in your terminal tackle that might have a sharp edge.

Now, I'll throw out another possibility. There was a rash of fake PowerPro on the market a few years back, and reports were similar, it was real junk. Mostly it was sold on Ebay, but some of it may have made it into distribution channels. Examine the last 50 feet or so of your line for damage or flaws.

I had a friend break off on hook sets a couple of times up by the rod. I was dumbfounded, it was my pole that he was using, and I had never seen that happen in many years of using braid. Close examination found that the coating on a guide was starting to flake off, and it created a knife like edge.

14. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    braid like any line will get old , if you want to try it just peel off several feet and find the fresher of the line . i did this with some 20 # spiderwire and it worked fine . but gary has a good idea too. so just check it . never go into battle with a unproven weapon . tie your line off set the hook , ture you are not in all the varibles but it is a start . but heck i dont know anything.

15. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have a friend that had the exact same problem. I told him to start using a uni-knot instead of the knot he had always tied. It cleared up his problem at once. This may not help you but it sure did him.

16. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    never had that problem must have got hold of a old spool or something

17. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Thanks to all the replys. I've tried all these things today with no problems, pulled off 50 yards to some fresh line,(it's new anyway) checked the rods,(no bad guides) checked all terminal tackle all good there, I even retied everything and hooked it to the shop and tried to break it with no success. I guess i wasn't meant to catch these fish. I will give it one more try before moving up to 80 or 100 lb test. I've been using Momoi daimond high catch and it's the best mono I've ever used (VERY STRONG) but I like the responce the braid gives(no stretch). My partner swears by braid and has great luck with it. I fish deep water in the winter and the rivers in the spring and summer, except for the James and i fish it about once a month all year for blues. The mono works great fishing close to the boat in the river but in deep water with a lot of line out it stretches too much to get a goo hook set, the braid however is spot on, just need to get past this problem.

Thanks to all

Chris

18. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    good luck:big_smile:

19. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Not saying anyone is wrong here but are you fishing from a boat or the bank? Me and a friend used the 65# Powerpro and had the same problems, He went to 80 and still had the same problem, If your fishing on a ledge or around rocks thats your problem From the bank we were casting out and the line is droppin over the ledge and catching on rocks on the hook set, causing it to break. Ive also lost good fish from the boat on the hook set fishing around rocks. Rocks are the biggest problem for braid. I have setups with mono for rocky areas and setups with braid for open water. I recently switched to the 72# mason braid and ripped the fish in my avatar out of a rocky area with no problems! That Mason is like boat anchor rope and still casts ok! Good luck, hope this helps.

20. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I always fish from a boat, river in the spring and lake in the summer and winter. I'm just trying pp for now but something has to change before I put it on all my reels.