power pro braided line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Fishermancat1, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    I am trying to create a slip knot bobber rig on braided line. (Power pro). I used a piece of braided line to created the knot and it seems to be a better slippery and not a lot of stopping strength. Has anybody here had success creating a slip knot bobber rig with braided line? If you have, let me know what you have done to make it work. By the way I have a red abu garcia 6000 baitcasting reel.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use the wal mart bobberstoppers with a small bead. They grab the line enough to keep the bobber at the right depth without having to adjust every cast. Onething to remember, if you are gonna use that bobber stop at a depth where it actually goes onto the spool when reeled all the way in, you might consider using a spinning rod instead of a bait caster. the levelwind line guide would knock my bobberstopper out of adjustment more often than not for me. I went with an Abu Cardinal because of this. Plus my slip corking rigs are light action aimed at 2-5lb channel cats. If dead set on a baitcaster for your fishing, consider one without level wind and then it will no move ur bober stoper. My fishing partner uses the small rubber bobber stoppers on his 6500 but they do not last half a day when we are really fishing hard. they braid "cuts" them alot more than mono would.
    Good luck trying to tie ur own, i had no luck with braid and tying mine. I can tie one that works great on mono, just never found one thats as good as the cheapo walmart ones for braid.

I think the brand is "laker" or something like that

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i just remembered the brand is "Mr. Crappie" if that helps, the "Laker" bobber stops are the rubber ones

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use braided or older dacron line. Just make a loop in a short piece, hold it up beside your main line, make 4 or 5 wraps around the main line and through the loop, then tighten both ends snugly. Basically you have tied a uni-knot http://www.animatedknots.com/uniknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website= around your main line. Works great for me, and I don't have to cut my line to use the store-bought thingys.

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    is the 6000 for sale?

6. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can't get my bobber stop to actually stop my bobber when I am using power pro. I love the line and I usually catfish without a bobber anyhow. I fell your pain though.:confused2:

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I use the bobber stops from walmart as well and you get 50 for like 4.00 or so not worth tieing yourself IMO

However I use two or three really depends on how big of a bobber I am using and how big a bait and weight.

I use the wildwolf Katbobber's from 3" to 5" so it just really depends and if your changing the depth a lot more then 3-5 times a night then they lossen up on you as well another thing is as soon as your happy or the fish are biten then get some crazy (super) glue and put a small drop on the bobber stop and it won't slip. I use 65-100 braid with no problems just make sure you pull both ends tight use two pair of pliers if you have too.

Hope this helps.

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You might look in to getting some rubber bands. I get the real small ones and use pieces of them for my Katbobber stops. They work great and you can change depths though out the trip with little effort.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just use dacron line in about 80# test. It works pretty good and it does not have a coating on it that makes it slick like Power-Pro does. It also a little bit bigger diameter then your super braids.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I use a short piece of dacron to tie a uni-knot around the main line as a stopper knot and it works very well for me. Leave a short tag on each end.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Oops! Didn't realize I'd already posted on this. Old-timers disease kicking in again. :embarassed:

12. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Some use rubber bands to tie bobber stops. You can make them bigger and longer for big bobbers. They are cheap and easy to use too.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the commercially available stop knots with no problem also. Make it really tight, and try to put the knot where you want it before tying. dont tie it and then try to slide it 4 foot or more to adjust it. this also seems to burn them out. I have never had a problem with using baitcasters and stop knots. I make sure they're really tight and trim them close. Use a really small bead then a big one after the knot too.