Power Pro as a leader

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by bigfish, Apr 19, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i have used power pro before i didnt realy like it for my main line. i guess cause it cant stretch i was snapping it on the hook set. from what i can remember it good abraision resitant line. so i was wondering how it would work as a leader tied to berkly big game. my thoughts are that the mono would stretch enough to keep the power pro from snapping, but giving me the good abraision resistance of the braided. any thoughts would be appreciated. i havent realy used a leader before so im kinda lost on what line would be best. used a few store bought steal leaders supposedly rated at 60# but they were breaking on the hook set.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Power Pro isn't very good against abrasion.
    What I use is a mono mainline of 20-30 pounds but most commonly berkley big game in 25 pound with a ANDE mono leader of 50 pounds.
    That 50 pound stands up really well to bowfin and gar teeth, rocks, and snags.
    I buy a 1/4 pound spool of the Ande and it will last 2 or 3 seasons of leader tying and you cant beat the price for a durable leader .

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Big Mistake Never use Braided line of any sort for a leader. They have no resistance to abraision at all. One nick on a rock and it is over before it starts.
    Mark is right, use mono leaders. I like to use a leader that is heavier than my main line also.

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I will no longer be using power pro as a leader. Today I lost a fish due to a power pro leader. Not a big fish, but definitely the best of the day, somewhere between 3-4lbs. I must of had a week spot around the hook, because that's where it broke.

5. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for the advice guys. thats exactly the line i use 25 # big game. so i will get some 50# test of something mono.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Let me throw in a comment here.I use 80lb FINS braid for a leader and they have a new line called DEEP DROP that is even better and more abrasion resistant.The problem with braid in general, not only as leaders is that it is so thin for the lb test.Thicker on the whole will be more abrasion resistant for the most part.If you want to use braid for anything you will have to go up in lb test to achieve the same thickness as mono.Why you would want to go mono to braid I don't know but I wouldn't use any braid for leader in less than 80lb test.That is the same dia as most 20lb mono.A nicked leader or worn knot has the same results in any line and I religiously check my leaders after EVERY fish.I land a lot of sizable fish every year with no problem.:) ;)

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I use 200lb Fins Deep Drop for my leaders, and it works great. It's expensive, though, because the smallest spool is 500yds, for something like $100.

I've used Powerpro up to 200lbs for leaders, but was disappointed with the abbrasion resistance. It works, I caught a lot of big fish on Powerpro leaders, but I also had a few breakoffs that were easier than they should have been. I also used 60lb mono for awhile. The line was tough, but I had trouble with my snells not staying tight.

To me, the Fins Deep Drop is perfect, if you can get past the purchase price :)

8. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    we use 80# power pro for sturgeon leaders most guys up here use it with no problems. I've never had any problems with it breaking off

9. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for all the input. i will stick with a 50# test mono.