Power Pro and Braided Lines?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by HOPPY4, May 8, 2006.

1. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Hello All, I am a Power Pro user and LOVE it! That being said, I have found a problem with it! I pose this question to each of you that use it or any Braid that floats. Does that fact that it floats hinder your Bobber, Cork or Swimmer when fishing at distance? I was fishing for trout at distance during the past week and even though I was using the same bait as others around me, the fish were not taking my offer. I was told that this was due to my floating line spooking the fish. The wind and the current on flowing water also plays a part when using it. The fact that mono will sink and thus limit the amount of wind movement is in question as well. Do you have simular problems with BRAIDED lines?

HOPPY4

2. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use stren super braid, and i notice a lot of line drift, when using floats.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Steve, Thank you for the reply! I was just wondering as it was just plain frustrating!!!!! I wound up catching 1 in the 7 hours that I was there. I was concerned as I want to continue to use the Power Pro on my reels! I am considering a change on one of the reels that I will use for these situations.

HOPPY4

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Same here, but for close in work or when you can keep your eye on it, its hard to beat. But for long distance I use mono.

5. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't trout fish, so can't help you there. But as far as Power Pro hindering a float at long distances, I think not. Power Pro does float, and if anything that only helps long distance fishing for cats. With mono your line is going to sink and as your bobber moves that sunken line can get caught in snags. We balloon fish alot and we'll have a balloon out over a hundred yards. The fact that the power pro floats, keeps the line up away from the snags. It also keeps the line alot tighter. When your line in under water it catchs current which can put a big bow in your line. When its floating it stays alot straighter from the tip of your rod to the float. This makes for easier hooksets at long distances. The fact that power pro has no stretch also helps with those long hooksets. So as I said above I have never fished for trout so they may not like seeing the floating line? But as far as catfishing and long distance float fishing go, power pro does nothing but improve your chances of catching fish.:smile2:

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey James, I started using Power Pro about 2 1/2 years ago after seeing a bunch of folks on here talking about how much they liked it. I'm totally satisfied with it. I don't remember who it was, several people actually, suggested putting a barrel swivel at the end of the braided line and using a mono-filament leader. I use it like this on all my rigs. I use 20 pound test on my bream rig and then I use a 10 pound leader so that when I hang up all I lose is my hook and a split shot. That way you don't lose your high dollar braid. Another thing I learned here and did this spring for the first time was turning my line around. The color had faded on the end I was using so I took it off and put it back on from the other end so I'm using new line again and it didn't cost anything but some time. This might be a solution that would work for what you are trying to do. Hope this helps.

ST

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    SeedTick, Thank you for the reply! I am in agreement with you as to the setup of the terminal rigs. I have found that the PowerPro is one fantastic line to use otherwise. The other anglers around here are not willing to try braid as it has the properties that we both enjoy so much. I have it on all of my rods and feel that I have an advantage over the fish when I get one on! I have just been routed to think that the fish refused to bite because the line spooked them. I will be out on Saturday and will try both presentations and will let you all know the results.

HOPPY4

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not used power pro line. I was introduced to Cajun red line and fell in love with it. I say use what you are comfortable with. As most of you that know me, I will not put down any equipment that other members use. If you like it use it.

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Last week I had my first experience with Cajun Red while fishing with my newest fishing buddy, Mr. TopSgtLawrence. I was impressed, period. He was using 20 pound test and that stuff is strong enough to use for an anchor rope. I still like my Power Pro but when I need to buy more leader line I'll probably get me some of that red line.

ST

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Seedtick, I used it last weekend and it had limited success. I was not able to practice with the Trout, but tested the system. I still think that Power Pro is FANTASTIC and will use it on 99% of my reels for whatever fishing I am doing.

HOPPY4

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hoppy, Did you use a leader?

ST

12. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Say HOPPY YOU STIL IN GERMANY, IF YOU ARE YOU MIGHTT WANT LOOK IN TO A WELS CATFISH TRIP AND WHEN YOU GET BACK TO THE LAND OF ROUND DOOR NOBS WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO BE. mY EXPERINCE WITH BRAID WHICH I DO USE IS THAT SOME TIMES I HAVE TROBLE WITH LONG CAST THE LINE BINDS UP ON THE SPOOL AND IF I AM CASTING A LOAD IT USUALY SNAPS THE LINE

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    You will find that trout are a little more easy to spook than a cat is. I am not a big fan of braided lines as I have seen them make people think there equipment was a borne winch. I have seen reels get tore up because people put 100# Power pro on a a reel intended for 30# line and try to catch 200# shark and then cry when they destroy a $100 reel or snap a $100 rod. Around here common sense seems to be scared off by braded lines.

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    SeedTick & Gator, I am a beleiver in the line that I use and have come to a conclusion. When using braide for float fishing, you have got to be concerned about wind, current and the type of fish. From what others have stated and I have read, many factors need to be considered. When fishing for Wels on the river Saone, we did not have a problem with the braide. The cats did not have a problem with it at all. The fact that current will affect the way a float reacts with braide can actually be a positive. When it is used for fishing on a still water or water with a breeze, the fact that it floats can be a PROBLEM! Trout being trout, I will use a mono line when attempting to catch them from now own. That being said, this should be my last actual season before returning to the USA after August 2006. I will be on the Haasfurt water on Saturday and will be targeting Raubfish (Preditor Fish). The fishing season started on yesterday 16 May and I am forced to wait until 20 May before I can make the drive up. They have stocked the main lake with Zander (Walleye), Hecht (Pike) and the Trout from before that remain. There are a few Wels still in the lake from over the years, but they are seldom caught. Thank You all for the comments and I will keep reading the board and passing on my comments when appropriate.

HOPPY4