Power pro 65 lbs with Abu 6500

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by stone, Mar 15, 2009.

1. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Anyone knows how much it would fit? I read somewhere 65lbs of Powerpro 300yards. Is that right. I have a spool of 200m plus 65 lbs and it seems theres no way its going to fit.

2. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    50#PP is the same dia as 12#mono. So does it say how much 12# will fit the reel?

3. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    hu its test/yards: 14/250, 20/155

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I use PP 65lb or 80lb on all my abu 6000 and 6500 and it seems after I put about 10' of 50lb big game hi test mono the smaller the dia the better I can spool two reels with 300 yrds. I spool my reels about an 1/8th of and inch from the top of the spool core.

Hope this helps let me know if you need anything else.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know about the new 6500 reels--I've heard that they have an improved drag system, but I have an older 6500, and I can tell you that the factory drag on it just isn't compatible with heavy braided line like that; it just won't crank down enough. I've had a 10# blue on while anchored in heavy current, and couldn't get the drag tight enough to pull it in; when I lifted the rod tip, line spooled off. I finally ended up using the first drag system I ever learned--my thumb. I pulled my heavy braid off my 6500, and plan to replace it with 30# braided. Incidentally, there is an aftermarket drag system available for the 6500 that's supposed to be much better than the old factory system.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My 6500 will just hold 150 yards of 65lb Sufix Braid, it's a perfect fit. PowerPro should be about the same.

7. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

The drag system on the 6500 will only go to 15 lbs.
    That is why I use only use 40 lb Power Pro, on my 6500 C3's :wink:
    I back the spool up with 8 yards of 40 lb big game mono, and 300 yards of 40 lb Power Pro.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Thank you, JTREW. Since the braided lines have become so popular, the scenario of wanting to put heavier pound test line, than the reel has drag capabilities, has been an ongoing concern.

IMO, it's like putting a 1/2" dia. cable on a winch with a 1,000lb rating, WHY ??. YES the smaller diameter allows you to gain higher yardage capacities, than those of the same rating in mono but what's the likely hood of the fish pulling more than 150 yds, so why put 300 yds on the reel ???. Again IMO it's foolish & NOT cost effective:wink:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Elliot, it's not just the yardage of line you have on the reel that's important. Smaller diameter line will cast further, and you can get more on a reel, but as you said, there's a practical limit on how much yardage you really need. But for good casting, you do need to have the reel spool full. That's to make sure that the diameter of the spool with line is at the maximum possible for that particular reel & spool, so that the maximum amount of line comes off the spool with each revolution; the smaller the diameter, the less line comes off, and the more revolutions are required for a particular distance. More revolutions, more friction & drag; less distance. That's why lots of folks use backing line on the reel. I can get by with 150 yards of braided line for casting, so I put on enough backing that when I add the braided line, the reel spool is full. Others may have different opinions, but I feel that since I probably won't ever have to use that line for actual fishing, I can get by using cheap mono. And for anyone who happens to think that all this only applies to revolving spool reels, it applies to spinning reels even more. No, you don't get friction from additional revolutions of the spool, but you do get it from the front lip of the spool that holds the line on the spool. The least amount of friction there is when the spool is as full as the manufacturer's design allows. As line comes off the spool, the lip becomes larger, and friction increases. If you have trouble believing that, try putting 30 yards or so of old line on an empty spool and try casting with it. 've even got a couple or three old reels that have extra factory spools with the center built up so you don't have to mess with backing line.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Elliot, it's not just the yardage of line you have on the reel that's important. Smaller diameter line will cast further, and you can get more on a reel, but as you said, there's a practical limit on how much yardage you really need. But for good casting, you do need to have the reel spool full. That's to make sure that the diameter of the spool with line is at the maximum possible for that particular reel & spool, so that the maximum amount of line comes off the spool with each revolution; the smaller the diameter, the less line comes off, and the more revolutions are required for a particular distance. More revolutions, more friction & drag; less distance. That's why lots of folks use backing line on the reel. I can get by with 150 yards of braided line for casting, so I put on enough backing that when I add the braided line, the reel spool is full. Others may have different opinions, but I feel that since I probably won't ever have to use that line for actual fishing, I can get by using cheap mono. And for anyone who happens to think that all this only applies to revolving spool reels, it applies to spinning reels even more. No, you don't get friction from additional revolutions of the spool, but you do get it from the front lip of the spool that holds the line on the spool. The least amount of friction there is when the spool is as full as the manufacturer's design allows. As line comes off the spool, the lip becomes larger, and friction increases. If you have trouble believing that, try putting 30 yards or so of old line on an empty spool and try casting with it. 've even got a couple or three old reels that have extra factory spools with the center built up so you don't have to mess with backing line.

11. kcgmatt

kcgmatt New Member

State:
    MO
    JT, are you spooling the braided line directly to the spool? Braided lines have a tendency to slip if you don't have a mono backing or put tape over the spool before loading with the braid.

12. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have 300yds of 30#Tuf Line XP 8#dia on 3 of my reels. You can sit on a bridge and make some long floats to find the fish. And it does cast great with light weight and less drag in current too.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Glenn, if the spool doesn't have a hole or post to tie to, I use a little mono backing to keep the braided from slipping.

14. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    i use electrical tape over a little of the line so that it doesn't slip.

15. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just got a new 6600c4 for a bday present. Now I have used a Bait caster

last season, and did pretty well. It was a cheaper reel and I used bradied,

a couple of backlashes. Id like to use bradied on this would a 30#bradied work

well? Which is easier to cast with bradied or a mono.

I guess what im saying is id like to use a more forgiving line if there is one.

And also since my other reel is being worked on I will need an all around

test for now to catch some bass also. Thank you